[comp.sys.cbm] Ok, next question....

man44829@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Razorbone) (02/06/91)

  Well,  First Off, I would like to thank all of you who sent me info on
downloading and such, and who told me where to get a kermit.

  For those who don't know the loacation of one, there is a nice one at
maxwell.physics.purdue.edu, Kermit 2.2, I believe, which has the
nicest screen driver for the C128 or C64 I've seen, period....

   BUT, that is besides the point because, After spending 3 hours playing
with the various download commands on my UNIX, I turned my computer on
yesterday to see....

  MY #$%#@%$#%  POWERSUPPLY BURNED OUT!!!!!

 Considering this is three weeks after I got it back from an...Accident, I am    not pleased, less so to find that the Place I went to is gonna charge me
 $85 to replace it....

  Question 1:  IS it possible to replace the 9V transformer?

  Question 2:  If not, does ANYONE know of a place that could supply me with a
replacement powersupply cheaper?  And, folks, lemme tell ya, the Commodore
trademark is NOT a neccesity...

  ------> Great chance to unload an old supply to a broken computer!  :>  <----

     Mark....whose days of owning a c128 are about to end...:<

  Live! Uncut!  IT'S the man44829@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu SHOW!  WOW!
  Get REAL, LIVE opinions!  Get Worthless Political Commentary!  WOW!
  Thrills!  Chills!  Spills!  Loads of fun! email $10 for hookup...

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (02/07/91)

man44829@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Razorbone) writes:
>  Question 2:  If not, does ANYONE know of a place that could supply me with a
>replacement powersupply cheaper?  And, folks, lemme tell ya, the Commodore
>trademark is NOT a neccesity...

Tenex Computer Express (1-800-PROMPT-1 to order) advertises their own Heavy
Duty power supply for the 128, the "Tenex MW 705," for $54.95, which is
somewhat better than the $85 you mentioned.  This one does inlude a lifetime
warranty, so if it dies you won't find yourself in the same boat that you are
in now.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

DISCLAIMER: I have nothing to do with Tenex, they send me no money, the have
sent me some computer paraphanalia, but I sent them money first.

llaria@cup.portal.com (Tracy M Wirs) (02/07/91)

I happened to see this post and I remembered something..........

........in a TENEX Catalog.  This company has software & hardware for
both the C64 & C128 computers at good prices........ I know, because that's
where I got my Slimline case for my old 'tried but true' C64. (The holes for
the screws in the original case had worn out after I had taken it apart now
and again to clean the darn machine....)
They have a C128 power supply for sale, *not* CBM but with a lifetime
warranty.

If you're still interested in it, contact them at:

         Tenex Computer Express
         P. O. Box 6578
         South Bend, IL   46660-6578

....and ask for product no. 90686.  If you want to see the thing for
yourself, ask for their latest catalog... it shows THAT power supply.
(Just in case:  yes, they *do* have a C64 power supply for sale as well.)

Thought I'd help you out..........

llaria@cup.portal.com

p.s:  their phone line for ordering is (800) PROMPT-1; for product info:
(M-F, 8am-5pm local time <Mountain, I think>) (219) 259-7051.

llaria