[comp.sys.cbm] GEOS Font Questions

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (02/07/91)

Can anyone tell me why my geoPublish program fails to recognize several fonts
that come in the FONTPACK Plus package.
Specifically. . .
I am running GEOS 2.0 (64) and creating both geoWrite 2.0 and 2.1 text files
to be imported into geoPublish.
GeoPublish will not recognize Ashby (23 point) or the Barrington 32 point.
It does recognize Barrington 16 point.

I have massaged these fonts with the font editor that came with the package;
trying to change ID numbers and such, but I just can't get them to work in
geoPublish.
I have not tried all of the FONTPACK PLus fonts in geoPublish, but most of them
 do work.  I am disappointed that BSW would put this package together knowing
that some of the more useful fonts were non-functional in their desktop
publishing  package.

Any ideas?  Anyone have similar problems?
Thanks for any help in advance!
Kirk A. Janowiak
XWUU@PURCCVM

marshall@cs.arizona.edu (Ron D. Marshall) (02/08/91)

In article <91038.001412XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET>, XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET writes:
> Can anyone tell me why my geoPublish program fails to recognize several fonts
> that come in the FONTPACK Plus package.
>
> I have massaged these fonts with the font editor that came with the package;
> trying to change ID numbers and such, but I just can't get them to work in
> geoPublish.

GeoPublish crams a lot into the C-64 memory and doesn't leave much room to
store large font tables.  The font/point sizes you are trying are too big
for the font buffer so GeoPublish chooses not to recognize them at all. One
easy solution is to make a copy of the desired font and delete infrequently
used characters (like | { } and \) from the font with geoFont.   You may have
to delete other characters as well if the font is much too large for the
buffer.  Now GeoPublish should work just fine.  Note that this is only a
problem in graphics and master pages modes.  The word processor files should
be able to use any normal (not mega) fonts just fine.

--Ron.
(marshall@caslon.cs.arizona.edu)