[comp.sys.cbm] Hidden SYS calls...

rwsoukoreff@trillium.waterloo.edu (Rob Soukoreff) (02/08/91)

     Hello,

Hello, who knows anything about the "secret" SYS calls in the Commodore
Computers that display messages hidden in the ROMs?  I seem to remember
that there is a call on the C=128 that goes something like:
   SYS 12800,123,45,6     --or was it--     SYS 12300,123,45,6

I think that one of these calls displays a message from the creaters of the
128 listing their names, and what aspect of the 128 they worked on.  Maybe
somebody out there with a 128 could try these SYS's and see if either of them
does anything interesting?

I also seem to recall that on the BASIC 2 Commodore Pet's there what a place
in the Basic ROM, which on some memory maps was labelled "MICROSOFT JOKE".
Does anyone know what this is, OR have an early BASIC 2 Commodore on which
he/she could have a look?  I think this would be a 2001 PET we're talking
about.

I think there might have been more cases where messages to the end user were
hidden in the ROM's or system code unknown to Commodore.  Appearently the
above SYS call (if I remembered it correctly), uses a series of EOR's to
unencode the message.

   Thanks for your interest,
     Rob Soukoreff
     rwsoukoreff@trillium.uwaterloo.ca

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (02/09/91)

rwsoukoreff@trillium.waterloo.edu (Rob Soukoreff) writes:

>Hello, who knows anything about the "secret" SYS calls in the Commodore
>Computers that display messages hidden in the ROMs?  I seem to remember
>that there is a call on the C=128 that goes something like:
>   SYS 12800,123,45,6     --or was it--     SYS 12300,123,45,6

The correct sequence is SYS 32800,123,45,6.

Does anybody use Easy Script on the C=64?  If you do, hit F1, then CTRL/3.
Another "undocumented feature" that is rather cute.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu