[comp.sys.cbm] copy command

hinkle@acsu.buffalo.edu (steven j hinkle) (02/07/91)

    This may seem like a strange question, but I was tring to copy
a file from one drive (1581) to the another drive (1571) using the
basic 7.0 command copy like this.

           COPY "sourcefile" TO "targetfile",U9

since my 1571 is set up to be device #9.  However, this command
started the 1571 to spin but did not touch the 1581 (device #8)
drive at all.  I read through both manual for the drives and the
command is the same.  I didn't understand why this was happening.
I knew I set the numbers correctly because I could list the directories
of each device using the device number.  So, to get my files copied,
I had to LOAD them into memory from device 8 and SAVE them to device 9.

This does work okay but it seems it should be much easier with the
COPY command.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Steven Hinkle

--
|  Steven Hinkle   "The Quaker"       |  Always look on the bright side.|
|  University of Buffalo              |  If there isn't one, check the  |

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (02/07/91)

In article <58228@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> hinkle@acsu.buffalo.edu (steven j hinkle) writes:

>    This may seem like a strange question, but I was tring to copy
>a file from one drive (1581) to the another drive (1571) using the
>basic 7.0 command copy like this.
>
>           COPY "sourcefile" TO "targetfile",U9

The COPY command in Basic 7.0 does the same thing as the DOS COPY
command, of the form 'C0:newfile=oldfile'.  It cannot copy a file from
one drive to another; it can only copy a file from one place on a drive
to another place on the same drive.

To copy files from one drive to another you must use a program to load
the file into memory and save it on the other drive, such as the
LOAD/SAVE commands that you used, or a file-copying program like
Maverick or FasTrac.

--
begin 644 .signature
H5&AI<R!S<&%C92!U;FEN=&5N=&EO;F%L;'D@;&5F="!B;&%N:RX-"L1S

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (02/07/91)

hinkle@acsu.buffalo.edu (steven j hinkle) writes:
>    This may seem like a strange question, but I was tring to copy
>a file from one drive (1581) to the another drive (1571) using the
>basic 7.0 command copy like this.
>
>           COPY "sourcefile" TO "targetfile",U9

This command doesn't do what you want it to.  What the COPY command is is an
implementation of the disk command "C:", which copies a file within a disk
drive.  What's the point, you ask?  Well, it was originally designed to
work with DUAL disk drives, so you could copy files quickly between disks
that way.  However, if anyone has ever seen a 1582 or a 1572, they need
to visit an optician.  So, basically, the COPY command is mostly useless.

To copy between drives, you will need to have some copy utility.  I recommend
Randy Winchester's KeyDOS and KeyDOS utility, which are available via anonymous
ftp from milton.u.washington.edu.  This will do what you want, as well as a
whole bunch of other useful things.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

<SYST8134@Ryerson.CA> (02/11/91)

I do not think that the copy command is valid between devices.  I do not have
a commodore disk command book with me, but I think the copy command can only
be used between the older dual drives, or for copying a file from one name
to another name on the same disk for the single units.

I will update again when I get a look at a book, but I do not think it is
possible.

Richard bradley