[comp.sys.cbm] 1571 problems

Rob.Dale@samba.acs.unc.edu (Rob Dale) (10/23/90)

I have an older (3 year) 1571 that is giving me a problem.  Side 2 does
not work... When I format a disk (in '71 mode) it will go through all
of side 1 and then quit, if I try to read a file that has been saved on
side 2 it will quit, if I go to '41 mode and select side 2 it will quit.
In '41 mode it works fine, and it works fine for files on side 1 in '71
mode........

Any quick (cheap) fixes or things I could do to pin down the problems?

Rob Dale --- Purdue University Atmospheric Science
Rob.Dale@samba.acs.unc.edu

--

shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu (Glo,,,) (10/23/90)

From article <1393@beguine.UUCP>, by Rob.Dale@samba.acs.unc.edu (Rob Dale):
> I have an older (3 year) 1571 that is giving me a problem.  Side 2 does
> not work... When I format a disk (in '71 mode) it will go through all
> of side 1 and then quit, if I try to read a file that has been saved on
> side 2 it will quit, if I go to '41 mode and select side 2 it will quit.
> In '41 mode it works fine, and it works fine for files on side 1 in '71
> mode........
>
> Any quick (cheap) fixes or things I could do to pin down the problems?
>
> Rob Dale --- Purdue University Atmospheric Science
> Rob.Dale@samba.acs.unc.edu
>
> --

Check to see if the "pin" that is pushing down on the top head is applying
enough pressure.  I encountered a similar problem on my system.  If your
model has the step motor axis pointing sideways, then you should have a
normal spring instead of a pin.  (then the top head might be off alignment)

Good luck,

-Chris Shikashio

Addr: shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (10/23/90)

I have seen that problem befor, it could be just a dirty lower head in
your drive unit.  Try to clean both heads and see if that helps.

ctfm

b732zdu@utarlg.utarl.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (10/24/90)

In article <544@news.nd.edu>, treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu writes...
>I have seen that problem befor, it could be just a dirty lower head in
>your drive unit.  Try to clean both heads and see if that helps.

The lower head in the 1571 is actually side 1, not side 2.  If there were
a dirty head, it would be the top one.  However, this seems unlikely, and
more probably there is a bad connection somewhere.

dg@pallio.UUCP (David Goodenough) (10/27/90)

Rob Dale asks:
> I have an older (3 year) 1571 that is giving me a problem.  Side 2 does
> not work... When I format a disk (in '71 mode) it will go through all
> of side 1 and then quit, if I try to read a file that has been saved on
> side 2 it will quit, if I go to '41 mode and select side 2 it will quit.
> In '41 mode it works fine, and it works fine for files on side 1 in '71
> mode........
>
> Any quick (cheap) fixes or things I could do to pin down the problems?

One quick cheap thing to try. It might be that the head for side 2 is
dirty, and that cleaning it will work. Disk cleaners are fairly cheap,
I generally go at my drives with one about every second month. I don't
find that once a week is necessary (as is recommended on a lot of
cleaning kits), but once in a while doesn't do any harm.

Failing that, it sounds like a hardware problem with the side 2 circuitry,
bad head, broken wire or somesuch, in which case it's gonna need some
serious work by someone who knows what they're up to.
--
	dg@pallio.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.124702.2586@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>,
s25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
> Hi all!
>
>  I'm having some trouble with my 1571 drive, and wondered if anybody had
> any helpful ideas. It has been having trouble writing to the back side of
> two sided disks lately. When I try to format a two sided disk from BASIC, I
> get a ?Bad Disk Error message. If you listen to the ticks the drive makes
> as it formats, they go along regularly for a while, make a long scraping
> noise (Has always done that- I take it to be the drive switching to the
> other side of the disk) and then the ticks slow and become erratic, the
> green drive light blinks, and eventually it stops with the aforementioned
> error.
>  Further, when I try and write a file to a double sided disk, it works fine
> if the disk is less than about half full, but if it contains more than
> that, the drive gets into this thing where it scrapes back and forth over
> and over and takes a very long time to write files. However, it reads all
> files perfectly, at normal speed, from the front or the back. Any ideas?
>
>                     Greatly appreciated,
>
>                             Marc Fraioli
>                             s25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

There's nothing wrong with taking forever to write to the back of a disk. If it
really bothers you, get the most recent 1571 ROMS installed by any authorized
COmmodore service center. I haven't bothered, but I think this may solve the
problem. As for formatting, either your disks are bad, or your drive is toast.
Perhaps I will post a 1571 alignment checker, though I don't know if that could
be the problem.

|                               |                                     |
|        Aaron Peromsik         |        "Please insert disk with     |
| hh2x@cornella.cit.cornell.edu |         with the 128 deskTop v2.0"  |
|  hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu    |                                     |
|                               |                                     |

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (02/08/91)

hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>There's nothing wrong with taking forever to write to the back of a disk. If
>it really bothers you, get the most recent 1571 ROMS installed by any
>authorized COmmodore service center. I haven't bothered, but I think this may
>solve the problem.

This worked for me- I had the old ROMs, and when writing to the back of the
disk, the drive head would go back and forth, back and forth, and take FOREVER.
I haven't seen it do that since I upgraded to the recent ROMs.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.202452.14367@nntp-server.caltech.edu> rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:

>This worked for me- I had the old ROMs, and when writing to the back of the
>disk, the drive head would go back and forth, back and forth, and take FOREVER.
>I haven't seen it do that since I upgraded to the recent ROMs.

Speaking of which, if you're thinking of upgrading your drive ROM's, you
should consider buying JiffyDOS.  The JiffyDOS replacement ROM's contain
the latest upgrades.  In fact, JDOS beats the standard Commodore upgrade
in one respect:  A double-sided disk can still be used on both sides,
even in so-called 1541 mode (U0>M0).  And that has nothing to do with
the speedup you get with JDOS.

--
begin 644 .signature
H5&AI<R!S<&%C92!U;FEN=&5N=&EO;F%L;'D@;&5F="!B;&%N:RX-"L1S

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (02/08/91)

I have a questions about this rom upgrade.  I have a 1571 disk, and whenever
I put in a disk formatted on a 1541 drive, and then try to load'$',8 the
drive loads it fine, but, the led flashes for about 20 seconds before it
finaly realizes that things are fine.  I have tried many disks, they all
do this, I have also tried this on friends 1571's, and the same probelm
shows up.  However, if I format the disk on the '71, then its fine, and takes
no time at all to read it.  I assume this is normal, but why???

ctfm

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb8.154243.8919@news.nd.edu> treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu writes:
>I have a questions about this rom upgrade.  I have a 1571 disk, and whenever
>I put in a disk formatted on a 1541 drive, and then try to load'$',8 the
>drive loads it fine, but, the led flashes for about 20 seconds before it
>finaly realizes that things are fine.

Yes, if you ugrade your ROMs (with JDOS or with the ones from Commodore),
this problem will go away.  The reason for it is that the 1571 initially
was not programmed intelligently.  When you put a single-sided disk in,
the drive would try to detect the second side by simply doing a normal
read, with full error-checking on.  This results in the drive doing a
bang-up job of trying to read an unformatted side of a disk, and wasting
quite a bit of time.  The newer ROMs change the rules, so that error
checking is turned off when initializing the back side of a disk, so the
drive tries once to read the side, and if it doesn't work, the drive
assumes that it is a single sided disk.  This produces a delay which is
only slightly longer than that of a real 1541, and so it is almost
unnoticeable.  It is MUCH better than the old ROM method.

People using Commodore equipment without proper software (including
ROMs) are often left with the opinion that the system is crap.
Actually, only the software is, and software can be changed.  :)

--
begin 644 .signature
H5&AI<R!S<&%C92!U;FEN=&5N=&EO;F%L;'D@;&5F="!B;&%N:RX-"L1S
`
end

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (02/11/91)

I might consider the use of Jdos roms instead of the Commdore roms, but  I
use a Lt Kernal system, and I dont think my Lt Kernal would like the Jdos
roms at all, since the Lt Kernal bank-sitches out the internal C128/64
Kernal rom.  But, on the other hand, it banks it back in when accessing
serial drives, so, it might just work!

ctfm