[comp.sys.cbm] 1351 Problems, gateWay, ...

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (02/09/91)

From the lack of response to my previous hardware-type question
(cleaning my 128's keyboard), I gather that most people aren't
interested in hardware-related topics. However, I figured I try again
with a simpler question.

I have the 1351 proportional mouse and it has problems when you move
it horizontally (it doesn't move smoothly anymore). I tried moving the
horizontal roller directly and had the same results. Anyone else have
this problem? Any easy way to fix it?

How feasable is it to hook-up another computer's mouse to the
Commodore?

On to gateWay. If anyone isn't familiar with this GEOS deskTop
replacement I have recently seen CMD's ad in the latest issue of
GEOWORLD. Although they aren't ready to sell it yet, the ad provides a
good deal of info about the it. If you are like me and very frustrated
with Berkeley's deskTop, you might want to seriously consider
purchasing gateWay (probably $29.95 for either the 64 or 128 version).
Here are some of the features:

- better drive support with REAL disk drivers. NO MORE Configure x.x!
- access ALL THREE drives from the deskTop WITHOUT having to swap
drive C! Auto-swapping for applications that only recognize two
drives.
- define individual icons for each disk (using a one of the file icons
from that disk).
- this is more speculator, a trashcan that lets you throw files into
it and recover them (like the Mac's and Amiga trashcan). I don't think
gateWay uses (or needs to use) the border area for file copying
(YEA!!!!), so it probably uses this mini 8-file directory area to
store file entries that you throw in the trash.
- full CMD HardDrive, RamLink, and RamDrive support--of course.
- RAMDISKS the size of your REU, not just 15xx sized.
- A built-in control panel that lets you set the deskTop pattern,
colors, mouse speed, notepad size. It has a "Chooser" to set the
input/printer drivers. A "Time" icon to set the date/time. And the
most interesting feature, "Switcher", a sort of task switching feature
for REU users (like Jim Collette's geoWizard).
- there is something called a gateWay document filetype that lets you
add features to the deskTop!!!

It's influences are very evident from the Mac, Amiga (unfortunately
using the Amiga's "fuel bar" for showing space left on the disk), and
somethings from the old deskTop (very little--thank you!).

NOTE:  I'm not connected in any way to CMD and this isn't an ad for their
product. I just wanted to pass along this information for those that
wanted to know or didn't know or already knew! Please don't send me
complaints about such posts, I'm tired of people complaining to me about
every little thing. I don't mean to offend anyone.

That's it. Nothing else comes to mind. This isn't a complete list of
features for gateWay. If anyone has anything to add please post it!
As well as when CMD will start accepting orders.

:) :( :> :< :] :[ ;) :| :? :} :{ :* :^) :^( :+ :-) :\ :/ :! :$ :' :@ :O :# :<>
         l  c  s  @  r  e  m  u  s  .  r  u  t  g  e  r  s  .  e  d  u

  Everything stated or expressed in this post is strictly my opinion or view.

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (02/09/91)

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:
>I have the 1351 proportional mouse and it has problems when you move
>it horizontally (it doesn't move smoothly anymore). I tried moving the
>horizontal roller directly and had the same results. Anyone else have
>this problem? Any easy way to fix it?

Yikes... if the horizontal roller won't work (by that, I take it you mean
the roller that the mouse's ball rolls by friction), you probably have an
electrical problem; Have you tried taking the mouse apart and looking into it?

I know I had a problem with my M3 mouse: used normally, it almost refused to
go in a certain direction (I forget which), but rolling the roller directly
worked fine.  So I opened up the mouse, and discovered that there was a spring
on the roller that probably wasn't stiff enough.  So I shimmed it up with a
few layers of file card, and since then it has worked fine.  (The mouse mat
helps too.)

>How feasable is it to hook-up another computer's mouse to the
>Commodore?

Probably not feasable at all.  I tried a friend's Amiga mouse on my C128 once;
although the connector fit into my joystick port, I wasn't able to get any
response out of using the mouse.  (I guess I should be grateful that I didn't
destroy my joystick connector!)

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (02/09/91)

In article <Feb.8.23.09.43.1991.1843@remus.rutgers.edu> lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:

>I have the 1351 proportional mouse and it has problems when you move
>it horizontally (it doesn't move smoothly anymore). I tried moving the
>horizontal roller directly and had the same results. Anyone else have
>this problem?

Yes!  The horizontal direction of my mouse has been broken for some years
now.  I have taken out the ball and moved the roller inside, and it does the
same thing.  I've had it taken apart many times but couldn't figure out how
to fix it (I just look for obvious things).  I never got around to taking it
in to get fixed.  I'm not really sure what to do with it now.

Nick

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (02/11/91)

I guess I'll as my $.02 to this mouse discussion...

My 1351 works okay, but it has a problem with its proportionality.  It
preferse to move in one direction more than the other.  That is, roling
it one way it will move a certain distance, and when rolling back, the
mouse must be moved a lot further in order to return the cursor to its
position.  This forces me to reposition the mouse on its mat much more
often than I might like.  But, for GEOS it is still much better than a
joystick.

Anyone have any advice?  Everything looks okay (I guess) inside the
critter...?

--
begin 644 .signature
H5&AI<R!S<&%C92!U;FEN=&5N=&EO;F%L;'D@;&5F="!B;&%N:RX-"L1S

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.041846.14854@evax.arl.utexas.edu>
cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:
>My 1351 works okay, but it has a problem with its proportionality.  It
>preferse to move in one direction more than the other.  That is, roling
>it one way it will move a certain distance, and when rolling back, the
>mouse must be moved a lot further in order to return the cursor to its
>position.  This forces me to reposition the mouse on its mat much more
>often than I might like.  But, for GEOS it is still much better than a
>joystick.

Are you sure that this is a problem with the mouse?  I've noticed that I
have to pick up my mouse a lot under GEOS too, but if you pay close
attention, you'll notice that this is largely due to GEOS applications
moving your pointer without you moving the mouse.  (E.g.: in geoWrite,
clicking on a font in the font menu positions you on a pointsize menu
automatically.  While this is nice, it does result in the mouse pointer
moving inexorably to the right.)

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca