[comp.sys.cbm] Stereo Sid Players

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (02/02/91)

Hello all you Sid Player users.  I just got my stereo cartridge from
Dr. Evil, but I have a few questions;

#1 - What does the MODE commaand do?  When in STEREO MODE or NORMAL MODE
I see no different in preformance at all.  I get ture stereo in either case
so long as I have my ADDRESS COMMAND set to $DE00.

#2 - The little spot on the screen that shows the notes being played on
each voice only shows notes comming from my left side, when infact what I
seem to observe with my ear is that voice 1 comes from both left and right
and voice two is right only, and voice three is left only.  As for voice
4 5 and 6, I have no idea?!!!

#3 - I have one sid file, its called "Welcome2Jungel.mus" that does show up
an acutaly six voice output.  How can I tell this '6-voice' file from a
regular 3-voice file??

#4 - I have other mus files that indicate that they are six voice compositions
however, they appear to only be a 3-voice in 'cheep stereo'.

Please post follow up.  Thanks.

ctfm

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb1.215209.12721@news.nd.edu> treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu writes:
>#1 - What does the MODE commaand do?  When in STEREO MODE or NORMAL MODE
>I see no different in preformance at all.  I get ture stereo in either case
>so long as I have my ADDRESS COMMAND set to $DE00.

When playing true six-voice tunes (comprised of both a .MUS and .STR), you can
leave this set to NORMAL.  I believe the STEREO setting has something to do
with faking stereo sound for 3-voice tunes.

>#2 - The little spot on the screen that shows the notes being played on
>each voice only shows notes comming from my left side, when infact what I
>seem to observe with my ear is that voice 1 comes from both left and right
>and voice two is right only, and voice three is left only.  As for voice
>4 5 and 6, I have no idea?!!!

As far as I know, the "voice meter" is accurate.  What it shows is what it is
playing.  Voices 1-3 are the left side and voices 4-6 are the right side (when
you are using a stereo cartridge or similar device).  Without a stereo cart
you will only hear voices 1-3.

>#3 - I have one sid file, its called "Welcome2Jungel.mus" that does show up
>an acutaly six voice output.  How can I tell this '6-voice' file from a
>regular 3-voice file??

The *only* way to have a true six-voice song is for there to be both a .MUS
and a .STR with the same base (root) name.  In other words,
  song.mus
  song.str
indicates a true six-voice tune.  Note that a six-voice song isn't necessarily
stereo.  If both sides are playing exactly the same notes, you don't get any
stereo effect.  Within Stereo Player, it will indicate a six-voice song in
several ways: the string "6-voice" (or something similar) will appear on the
main screen, the band will take a rest while the tune is playing, and a "S"
will appear next to the tune name when it is highlighted in the song list.

>#4 - I have other mus files that indicate that they are six voice compositions
>however, they appear to only be a 3-voice in 'cheep stereo'.

Again, if you are missing the ".STR" then you won't have six voice or true
stereo sound, period.  If you do have the ".STR" then you still might not have
true stereo sound (see #3 above).

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

In article <12508@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Robert Brewer) writes:
>I have a short question about the Sid Player. Will it print the music
>on the staff sort of like Music Construction Set?

No.  Craig Chamberlain, the author, decided it was not worth the effort
involved.  Instead, he wrote a utility that prints out the information in
textual form, measure by measure.  When creating a Sidplayer tune, this type
of printout is actually more useful, I've found (especially since some of the
tricks one can do with Sidplayer don't translate well to staff notation).

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (02/11/91)

Thanks for all the help on the Stereo Sid Player.  After reading all the
replies in this area, and playing arround with the program for the past
week, I have come up with a lot of information.  The point about the .STR
files is the most important.  For a while there, I thought it was going
to be pretty hard to get my hands on these exclusive files.  I run once of
the largest commodore BBS systems in my state, and I have tons of mus files
but only a hand full of .STR files.  Thanks to this newgroup, I was led to
milton, where I found over 50 .STR files.  But this leads me to another
question!!

Anyone found a good way to batch trasfer files from a unix system to a
commodore?  The closest thing I have found to get the job done is
using the protocol Ymodem Batch.  My problem is that the ymodem on my
commodore 128 expects the host to send the start signal, and the ymodem
on the unix system wants the client to send the start signal!!  So they
both just sit there and time out.

Well, despite this little problem, I can indeed Ymodem batch, but I have to
intervieen and do things to the the transfer running.  My silly term program
acutally lets me do Ymodem -Singel file trasfer.  I realize that may sound
like a contrdiction in terms, but it works!  It asks me for the file name
and type.  I enter it, it then send the start signal, gets the file (with
file name--but ignors the recived file name and uses mine instead) and
saves it error free.  When its done with that file, it returns me to
terminal mode, but Ymodem Batch is still running, waitting for that
start signal to send the 2nd file.  So, I jump right back to file transfer
mode, enter a new file name, and type, and there it goes!!

ctfm

prindle@nadc.nadc.navy.mil (Frank Prindle) (02/12/91)

Note that ctfm says he has found over 50 .STR files on milton. If he looks
just a little harder, he will find over 250 .STR files there, with their
accompanying .MUS files.  Not to mention over 350 more plain old
mono .MUS files.  Just "cd /public/download/c64/sids" and "mget *.readme"
to get a full listing of all the title bars from all the SIDS (on 3 files).

ctfm also is having trouble with XMODEM. For YMODEM batch transfers, the
receiving end is supposed to send the start signal. Therefore, his UNIX
system is correct, his C128 XMODEM program is wrong. Just try another
implementation of YMODEM for the 128 end, possibly Desterm or Novaterm.

Sincerely,
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.navy.mil