[comp.sys.cbm] copy-programs

jncamp@hubcap.clemson.edu (Jeff Camp) (02/13/91)

This is sort of an informal survey.  I was wondering, for those of you
who have used different copy-programs (FastHackem, SuperCopy, etc.) had
a preference.
If you do, please give your favorite(s) and some of their features.
such as:  works with 1541,1571,1581,etc (in native mode).
          works with c64 and c128(d).
          has high speed disk/file copier, nibbler, etc.
          copies protected disk.
          you get the idea...
I was under the impression that OVERALL FastHackem was the best..
Am I wrong?
Answer here or email me.

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (02/13/91)

In article <13073@hubcap.clemson.edu> jncamp@hubcap.clemson.edu (Jeff Camp) writes:

>This is sort of an informal survey.  I was wondering, for those of you
>who have used different copy-programs (FastHackem, SuperCopy, etc.) had
>a preference.
>If you do, please give your favorite(s) and some of their features.
>such as:  works with 1541,1571,1581,etc (in native mode).
>          works with c64 and c128(d).
>          has high speed disk/file copier, nibbler, etc.
>          copies protected disk.
>          you get the idea...
>I was under the impression that OVERALL FastHackem was the best..
>Am I wrong?
>Answer here or email me.

Well, I am surprised that you never mentioned Maverick. It is by far the
ABSOLUTE BEST copy program around. It will really copy ANYTHING, and it can
be used with he 1541, 1571, and I think the 81 too. It will also recognize
Ram-Boards, REU's, etc... it has a parameter menu with hundreds of parameters
for games, and exactly how to copy that particular program (or game..)
Having worked with superkit, fast hack'em (which is my next fav), and Maverick
I'd have to say that Maverick is best..

	+   Mike Digdon: digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca  + My 64 can still get the +
	+		 mike@ac.dal.ca	      + job at hand completed!! +

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (02/13/91)

In article <13073@hubcap.clemson.edu> jncamp@hubcap.clemson.edu (Jeff Camp) writes:
>I was wondering, for those of you who have used different copy-programs
>(FastHackem, SuperCopy, etc.) had a preference.

I used to use Fast Hack-em all the time, and later Fast Hack-em 128,
then the latest from Mike J. Henry, Fast Trac 128.  However, it seems
Mr. Henry hasn't kept up with the changes in Commodore ROMs that have
taken place, so ROM upgrades (esp JDOS) cause many of his programs to
fail because he makes direct calls to ROM routines.  Too bad, because
otherwise his software is superb.  I wish I could use it.

Failing that, though, I use Maverick 5.0, the best collection of disk
copy utilities there is.  Works with 1541/71/81 for file copying, and
will back up whole disks of any type.  It uses the extra memory in the
128 (video RAM, that is), and your REU if you have one, so with a 1750
you can backup a double-sided 1571 disk in ONE PASS!  A 1581 disk takes
two passes with an REU.  Of course, if you have two drives, they just
talk to each other and the computer doesn't need to do any buffering.
Many more utilities for parameter backup of protected software, and GEOS
software, too.  Definitely worth the price, esp. since this will be the
LAST upgrade in the Maverick series.

--
begin 644 .signature
H5&AI<R!S<&%C92!U;FEN=&5N=&EO;F%L;'D@;&5F="!B;&%N:RX-"L1S