[comp.sys.cbm] Rumour I heard the other day,,,

lncjb@cc.newcastle.edu.au (01/22/91)

A friend told me that the original CBM64's where released in white VIC-20
	cases. Believe it or what?

---               }`oo'{
                    `'
            Chris "Polar" Baird
Impoverished BSc Undergrad @ Newcastle Uni (OZ!)
             LNCJB@cc.nu.oz.au

mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) (01/23/91)

From article <7018.279c2b26@cc.newcastle.edu.au>, by lncjb@cc.newcastle.edu.au:

> A friend told me that the original CBM64's where released in white VIC-20
> 	cases. Believe it or what?
>
> ---               }`oo'{
>                     `'
>             Chris "Polar" Baird
> Impoverished BSc Undergrad @ Newcastle Uni (OZ!)
>              LNCJB@cc.nu.oz.au

I seem to remember seeing such a thing.  It was a Commodore 64 with a white
case, and the dark color keys like the latter C64's have.  I think the
Vic-20's have light color keys if I remember right.  Then Commdore went with
the grey colored equipment, only to return to white with the C64c and C128,
1571, 1581, etc. etc.  I believe the 1541 started out in a white case as well.

Mark.
mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (01/23/91)

mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) writes:

>I seem to remember seeing such a thing.  It was a Commodore 64 with a white
>case, and the dark color keys like the latter C64's have.  I think the
>Vic-20's have light color keys if I remember right.  Then Commdore went with
>the grey colored equipment, only to return to white with the C64c and C128,
>1571, 1581, etc. etc.  I believe the 1541 started out in a white case as well.

I've got an old C64 from way back when they used to cost ~$300 or even more
(I bought it from a friend for $20 during one break a few years ago when
my 128 was 500 miles away from me).  It is very early, the logo is somewhat
different, the font that is used on the keys on the keyboard is different-
but it is, sure enough, grey.

The Vic-20 had very dark brown keys- even darker than the 64's, if I remember
correctly.  I had one of these guys 8 or so years ago.  (I've climed the
Commodore ladder- I even started with a Pet that we rented one summer when
I was in Jr. High!).  Also, I think the Vics where whiter than the current
128's and 64c's, which are a sort of creamy off-white.  The original 1541's
were also white, and those were the guys that *really* had problems with
misalignment.  The "second-run" 1541's matched the 64's color, but still
had the push-pop door instead of the lever found on current drives.

On a related topics: Vic-20's in the movies!!

In at least two movies where they needed computer keyboards to look technical
and impressive, I've seen Vic-20's.  The first was Airplane II, where there
are three or four of them lined up with a bank of ground personnell types.  The
second was in The Philadelphia Experiment, where there was this big huge
workstation screen with a Vic-20 keyboard below it, in top-secret high-tech
military base.

Has anybody seen Vics on the silver screen anywhere else?

(If anyone remembers the TV show "Manimal," which ran about 6 episodes, I
seem to remember in the Pilot episode that the hero had a C64 in his house
somewhere.)

-Rob
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (01/23/91)

The TV show on NBC called Empty Nest, a c64 sits on the desk in the doctor's
office.

ctfm

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (01/24/91)

In article <4084@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford) writes:
>I seem to remember seeing such a thing.  It was a Commodore 64 with a white
>case, and the dark color keys like the latter C64's have.

If you bought a C-64 at least five years ago, your keyboard looked like the
normal grey case and dark keys, but the box probably had a picture of the
old white case and Vic-20 style keys.  Seems like that's what my original
package had on it..

llaria@cup.portal.com (Tracy M Wirs) (01/24/91)

I remember seeing them twice:

ONCE on "Unsolved Mysteries"  (not sure if that was a C64C or C128D)

......and in the series MAX HEADROOM which was on ABC.
<btw...... I *do* wish they'd bring the latter back......but I guess it was
playing too close to reality!>

llaria@cup.portal.com

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (01/25/91)

 >From: mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford)

 >From article <7018.279c2b26@cc.newcastle.edu.au>, by
 >lncjb@cc.newcastle.edu.au:
>
> A friend told me that the original CBM64's where released in white VIC-20
>       cases. Believe it or what?

 >I seem to remember seeing such a thing.  It was a Commodore
 >64 with a white case, and the dark color keys like the latter
 >C64's have.

   I had one of the first C64s sold in Canada (I paid $C 895 for it!), and it
was in the same colour case as the later 64s (with the exception of the 64c, of
course).

   However, the colour of the keys has changed over the years, especially the
function keys.

   The VIC keycaps, too, went through some colour changes.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

lncjb@cc.newcastle.edu.au (01/25/91)

> On a related topics: Vic-20's in the movies!!
>
> In at least two movies where they needed computer keyboards to look technical
> and impressive, I've seen Vic-20's.  The first was Airplane II, where there
> are three or four of them lined up with a bank of ground personnell types.  The
> second was in The Philadelphia Experiment, where there was this big huge
> workstation screen with a Vic-20 keyboard below it, in top-secret high-tech
> military base.
>
> Has anybody seen Vics on the silver screen anywhere else?
>
> (If anyone remembers the TV show "Manimal," which ran about 6 episodes, I
> seem to remember in the Pilot episode that the hero had a C64 in his house
> somewhere.)

I remember seeing a VIC as part of the 'military' equipment in the movie
	'The Lost Caverns' (I think that's the title,BTW). A bunch of American
	Defence types where following Central American rebels into a deep
	& mysterious cave and stumble across a lost civilisation. They just
	used the keyboard in this case.

 Also, the video display on WOPR in 'War Games' had a very susipisous
	character font and screen size,,,

---               }`oo'{
                    `'
            Chris "Polar" Baird
Impoverished BSc Undergrad @ Newcastle Uni (OZ!)
         LNCJB@cc.newcastle.edu.au

<SYST8134@Ryerson.CA> (01/29/91)

I have seen a PET in one of the STAR TREK series of movies.  I know it was
the first or second one when the scene moved to Cpt. Kirks quarters or
his actual home and there blinking away in the background was a PET.

I also so a PET in a Maxi-Pad commercial some years ago.

Richard Bradley

<OPERPRIN@Ryerson.CA> (02/01/91)

The Commodore 64 was indeed released in a brown case.  The VIC-1541 disk
drive as it was first known was in a white VIC case.  When the brown
version came out the drive was then brown.  The same is true of the
VIC-1525 printer that was put in a quieter brown case and called an
MPS-801.  The only 64 that I have ever seen in a white case was one that
my brother put in a VIC case becuase his C64 Keyboard crapped out and
an old VIC keyboard is exactly the same electronically as the 64.

Richard Bradley

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (02/03/91)

In actual fact, the 1541 was first known as the VIC-1540, which came in a white
case. When the 64 came out, that's when the 1541 in the brown case came around..

	+   Mike Digdon: digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca  + My 64 can still get the +
	+		 mike@ac.dal.ca	      + job at hand completed!! +

<OPERPRIN@Ryerson.CA> (02/06/91)

To follow up, and I may have said this before.  There was a VIC-1541 that
followed the VIC-1540.  The 1540 needed a ROM upgrade to be made into
a 1541.  Both the VIC-1540 and VIC-1541 were in white cases and when the
VIC was dropped from the name the 1541 came out is brown.

Richard Bradley

menace@fquest.fidonet.org (Dennis Little) (02/11/91)

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) writes:

> In actual fact, the 1541 was first known as the VIC-1540, which came in a whi
> case. When the 64 came out, that's when the 1541 in the brown case came aroun

You might want to recheck your facts then as the 1540 ran at a bit faster
speed than the 41 if I remember correctly.  If you want to go all the way
back and see what a 1541 was, check out the older PET drives as the 1541
is a single drive out of a dual drive system (this is why you have the 0
in s0:filename etc).

me

The following opinions are my own and not those of anyone else who
might be registered on fquest.fidonet.org.  All flames can be sent to
alt.flames since we don't read that here.

<SYST8134@Ryerson.CA> (02/11/91)

The 1540 was did run at a different speed and had to have a rom upgrade
to make it into a 1541.

The reason that you have to say 0: when you load from many of the CBM
single drives is that the ROMs were modified from earlier dual drives.
Even the 9060 and 9090 hard drives from that late 70's and early 80's
have to be addressed as 0:.  If you do not use the 0: sometimes the
disk drive will go looking for the imaginary drive 1 that does not
exist.  The only single floppy drive made for the PET series was the
2031 full height and the 2031 low profile.  The 2031 was white and
the low profile certainly was the same case as the VIC-1540.

BUT, the 2031 was IEEE and not serial so the actual logic board was
a completely different one to that in the VIC-1540.  I would be
interested to know if one could change a 2031 to a 1541 by
transplanting the boards???

Richard Bradley

rwsoukoreff@trillium.uwaterloo.ca (Rob Soukoreff) (02/13/91)

In article <91042.155612SYST8134@Ryerson.CA> <SYST8134@Ryerson.CA> writes:
>The 1540 was did run at a different speed and had to have a rom upgrade
>to make it into a 1541.

Indeed, the VIC-1540 ran faster because it was designed to work with
the VIC-20, which ran faster than the Commodore 64.  The 1541 had to
be slowed down to accomodate the 64.

Question:  Is the VIC-20 the fastest 6502 based Commodore computer?

   Rob Soukoreff
     rwsoukoreff@trillium.uwaterloo.ca

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (02/13/91)

rwsoukoreff@trillium.uwaterloo.ca (Rob Soukoreff) writes:
>Question:  Is the VIC-20 the fastest 6502 based Commodore computer?

C-128 at 2 MHz beats it hands down.  Of course, the 128 uses an 8510, but the
8500 series is effective in the 6500 family, just an upgrade from the C64's
6410 (and downwardly compatible, of course).

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/13/91)

Rob Soukoreff (rwsoukoreff@trillium.uwaterloo.ca ) wrote:
 >Indeed, the VIC-1540 ran faster because it was designed to
 >work with
 >the VIC-20, which ran faster than the Commodore 64.  The
 >1541 had to be slowed down to accomodate the 64.

   More specifically. the serial bus timing had to be relaxed to accomodate the
VIC II's DMA cycles.

 >Question:  Is the VIC-20 the fastest 6502 based Commodore computer?

   At 1 MHz, most likely yes.  However, the C128 can run at 2 MHz, and that more
than makes up for the VIC-20's efficiency.

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (02/13/91)

The VIC-20 was indeed the fastest 65xx based commodore computer.