[comp.sys.cbm] uuxfer

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (02/16/91)

UUXFER: great program, whoever wrote it and posted it here.  Question, though:
does there exist a version for the 128?  Are there plans to convert it for
the 128?  If not, could I get ahold of the source- I'd be willing to do the
conversion myself.

If not the source, then I'd be grateful if someone could point me to a
reference on the uuencoding algorithm.

Thanks,

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb16.023034.12114@nntp-server.caltech.edu> rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:
>UUXFER: great program, whoever wrote it and posted it here.

Thanks for the compliment...I wrote it, and I have source, but alas, the
program was about a 6 hour hack job, so the source code looks almost
identical to the disassembly (except with labels instead of addresses).

>So, is there a 128 version?

Oh, well, since I have a 128, I could make a 128 version, I guess.  I
made it for the 64 because more people can use it that way.  However, my
library of 128 run-time routines isn't as extensive.

>If not the source, then I'd be grateful if someone could point me to a
>reference on the uuencoding algorithm.

Well, the process is really quite simple.  Encode 3 bytes at a time,
taking 6 bits from each byte and storing them in 4 bytes.  Then add $20
to each byte, shifting it into the ASCII range, and you're done.  Well,
okay it's not exactly that simple, but that's the idea.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..