[comp.sys.cbm] Writing to a write-protected floppy

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb15.022027.20372@contact.uucp> mm@contact.uucp (mike maunz) writes:
>Also, I was wondering if and how it is possible to bypass the write protection
>on a 1541 so that the drive will write
>to a disk regardless whether the notch is covered or not (through software, not
>hardware). Thanks.

Sorry, this cannot be done.  The hardware logic in the 1541/71/81 is
PHYSICALLY incapable of putting the head into write mode if the write
protect is on the disk.  The only way to defeat this is to rewire your
hardware.

Any software you write which bypasses DOS and directly forces the head
to write onto the disk, the drive will go through the motions, but the
head will remain in read mode if the notch is covered.  Sorry!  :)

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..