[comp.sys.cbm] CPM for 128...

roger@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Roger White) (02/16/91)

I recently purchased a 1581 drive and enclosed within was a mail-in card for
an upgrade to the latest version of CPM 3.0. It says that it will cost me
$19.95 (US) to get it. I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade
to the newest version? And does CBM supply the upgrade any more? (since
the 128 has been discontinued...) This one is supplied on a 3.5" disk.

I have tried the old version (came with 128) and I find that I don't have
enough room on a 1541 to do anything. I know that there is a lot of CPM
software available, but I have no idea how to copy a file from normal dos
format to CPM format. Once I download the software how do I get it over
on the CPM disk?

I would love to learn how to use CPM and would really like to take
advantage of my 1581 (to read IBM/CPM disks + extra storage).

Thanks,
Roger.

--
Boot it up? I did A LOT of that!| Roger White
		(Sam-Cheers)	| Memorial University of Newfoundland

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb16.021858.21037@garfield.cs.mun.ca> roger@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Roger White) writes:
>I recently purchased a 1581 drive and enclosed within was a mail-in card for
>an upgrade to the latest version of CPM 3.0. It says that it will cost me
>$19.95 (US) to get it. I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade
>to the newest version? And does CBM supply the upgrade any more? (since
>the 128 has been discontinued...) This one is supplied on a 3.5" disk.

Actually, if you DON'T get the offer, then you won't be able to use the
1581 in CP/M mode. The version that came with the C128 doesn't recognize
the ormat. There is a kludge out there that will patch the CP/M 3.0 sys
file that will allow the 1581 to be viewed as a *1571* with 340K of
space, but, yuck!!

Also, the package comes with all kinds of nifty stuff for programming in
CP/M.

Oh, yes. It also recognizes an REU as drive M:    Up to 512K worth :)

John Luce               | Life is the leading cause of death
Raleigh, NC             | Standard Disclaimer Applies
919-850-6787            | Mail? Here? Try aurs01!aurw46!luce@mcnc.org
                        |        or ...!mcnc!aurgate!luce
-------------------------------- or John.Luce@f130.n151.z1.fidonet.org

alanw@col.hp.com (Alan Weber) (02/21/91)

I purchased a 1581 and did not get a card with it telling about upgrading
CP/M to version 3.0.  Can I get the address and order it anyway?  I would
like to have it!