[comp.sys.cbm] Terminal emulator suggestions needed

elwin@hubcap.clemson.edu (lawrence brown) (02/21/91)

I have a C64 with a color monitor and a 5 1/4" disk drive.  I am
about to buy a modem for it.  I need to know whether I can get
an 80 column terminal emulator program (preferably VT100
emulation), that will run on it.  I know that the C64 "wakes up"
with a 40 column screen, but I also have INFOCOM games that
definitely but 80 columns on the screen. I solicit
recommendations of programs and where to purchase or otherwise
acquire them.  Thanking you all in advance.
Larry Brown

scott@uwav1.u.washington.edu (02/21/91)

In article <13210@hubcap.clemson.edu>, elwin@hubcap.clemson.edu (lawrence brown) writes:
> I have a C64 with a color monitor and a 5 1/4" disk drive.  I am
> about to buy a modem for it.  I need to know whether I can get
> an 80 column terminal emulator program (preferably VT100
> emulation), that will run on it.  I know that the C64 "wakes up"
> with a 40 column screen, but I also have INFOCOM games that
> definitely but 80 columns on the screen. I solicit
> recommendations of programs and where to purchase or otherwise
> acquire them.  Thanking you all in advance.
> Larry Brown

There are several 80 columns terminal programs for the C64 with
emulations: Kermit2.2 (VT52, VT100, partially VT102)
            Novaterm 9.1 (Ansi, VT52, may be VT100)
            CBterm 6.7 (VT52)
            VT100 for C64 (VT100)

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

hamilton@brahms.udel.edu (Andrew W Hamilton) (02/21/91)

Hello, netlanders!

I have just become (as of a few hours ago) a proud owner of an Aprotek C-24
2400 baud modem.  I am using the C64 VT100 emulation software that comes with
the machine, despite the lousy 80 column emulation, because I couldn't figure
out for the life of me what the "backspace" or "delete" keys are on the
Novaterm 9.1 VT52 emulation (Otherwise, the program has been great for the
short time I've used it.).  Could someone please help me with this O-so-simple
question?  Thanks!

Oh yeah, is there any way to get the cursor keys to work when using the UNIX
vi word processor with the C-64 in VT54 emulation?

J. P. Grenert (in spite of what the header might say)
hamilton@brahms.acs.udel.edu

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (02/22/91)

In article <18927@brahms.udel.edu> hamilton@brahms.udel.edu (Andrew W Hamilton) writes:

>I have just become (as of a few hours ago) a proud owner of an Aprotek C-24
>2400 baud modem.  I am using the C64 VT100 emulation software that comes with
>the machine, despite the lousy 80 column emulation, because I couldn't figure
>out for the life of me what the "backspace" or "delete" keys are on the
>Novaterm 9.1 VT52 emulation (Otherwise, the program has been great for the
>short time I've used it.).  Could someone please help me with this O-so-simple
>question?  Thanks!

>Oh yeah, is there any way to get the cursor keys to work when using the UNIX
>vi word processor with the C-64 in VT54 emulation?

>J. P. Grenert (in spite of what the header might say)
>hamilton@brahms.acs.udel.edu

It sounds like you haven't loaded the ASC.ANSI/VT52 module.  You must load
this module along with ANSI or VT52 mode in order for things to work
properly.  If you still can't get delete to work, try shift-delete.

[blank lines added so it will save the message!]

Nick