[comp.sys.cbm] UNIX-c64...How do you do it?

hamilton@brahms.udel.edu (Andrew W Hamilton) (02/21/91)

I need some help again already!

I was able to ftp to milton and transfer Kermit 2.2 to my UNIX account on the
university's system.  It is now located amongst my files as kermit2p2a.sda
and kermit2p2b.sda.  How do I go about getting these into my c64?  I tried to
download them using Novater 9.1 by selecting XMODEM as the protocol and then
trying to download with the C=D combination.  But after a while, and with
basically nothing going on between my computer and the mainframe, a message
came up on the screen that Novaterm aborted the transfer.  What am I doing
wrong here?

Thanks again.

J. P. Grenert
hamilton@brahms.acs.udel.edu

mptaylo@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Taylor) (02/21/91)

From article <18928@brahms.udel.edu>, by hamilton@brahms.udel.edu (Andrew W Hamilton):
> I need some help again already!
>
> I was able to ftp to milton and transfer Kermit 2.2 to my UNIX account on the
> university's system.  It is now located amongst my files as kermit2p2a.sda
> and kermit2p2b.sda.  How do I go about getting these into my c64?  I tried to
> download them using Novater 9.1 by selecting XMODEM as the protocol and then
> trying to download with the C=D combination.  But after a while, and with
> basically nothing going on between my computer and the mainframe, a message
> came up on the screen that Novaterm aborted the transfer.  What am I doing
> wrong here?

Lets see if i remember how to do this.  I have downloaded to my 64
before, but it was a long time ago.  I was using Touchterm(old prgram)
with XMODEM.  I think i typed something(In Unix) like XMODEM -b
(filename) to start the actual send of the file.  Then i jsut set up on
my end and it started downloading.  Of course you might need to use a
stripper after downloading it with XMODEM.  Well let me know if that was
any help to you.

Mike..

man44829@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Razorbone) (02/22/91)

	Well, in response to the question about Novaterm's download:

  First off, you have to initiate a transfer on unix.  At the UofI,
the command sx <file>  starts a tranfer using x-modem...but check your man
pages....

  If that doesnt work, try using man -k modem or man -k download
to look for a command that might help...SOMETHING will be there, probably...

	Mark.
  Live! Uncut!  IT'S the man44829@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu SHOW!  WOW!
  Get REAL, LIVE opinions!  Get Worthless Political Commentary!  WOW!
  Thrills!  Chills!  Spills!  Loads of fun! email $10 for hookup...

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (02/22/91)

In article <18928@brahms.udel.edu> hamilton@brahms.udel.edu (Andrew W Hamilton) writes:
>How do I go about getting these into my c64?  I tried to
>download them using Novater 9.1 by selecting XMODEM as the protocol and then
>trying to download with the C=D combination.

Well, I'll assume you know how to tell your Unix machine to start
sending you a fie by Xmodem...

What terminal parameters are you using?  If you are calling at 7/E/1 or
basically anything that is not 8/N/1, then Xmodem will not work, nor
will Ymodem.  In fact, Kermit is the only protocol that works in the
7-bit world, but of course you don't have that yet.  'Tis a problem.

Perhaps you can get a friend with an IBM to download the files for you,
then Xmodem them from his machine to yours.  Or, if you can get 8/N/1
connected, you can download them yourself, but there can be tons of
problems depending on what computers and network links there are between
you and the computer.  I know that getting a download working on our
mainframe systems on campus is not trivial.  Unless you use Kermit, of
course.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

treesh@bach.helios.nd.edu (02/25/91)

If your using the same xmodem I am, then you use this syntax:

xmodem sbck filname

Then select receive files mode from nova term, xmodem 1k protocol.

ctfm