[comp.sys.cbm] DesTerm V2.0

randy@athena.mit.edu (Randall W Winchester) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.175456.21919@nntp-server.caltech.edu> rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:

>I'm gonna go for broke too: if such an overlay doesn't exist, if somebody
>could reference me to (1) a description of the algorithm for implementing the
>Kermit protocol, and (2) a description of what needs be done to program a
>DesTerm overly, I will attempt to write such an overlay myself, eventually.
>

>-Rob Knop
>rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

Rob,

I can help a little with Question #2.  Here's what I've been able to
figure out about DesTerm overlays:

Load address:  $b000
Start address of code:  $b005

End the routine with an RTS.

Use the DesTerm "comp.ovl" file as a template for bytes $b000 - $b004.

I'm not sure how much room you have to play with, but it is at least
10 pages.  That's the size of "comp.ovl."

*  Randy Winchester  *  randy@mit.edu  *  PO Box 1074, Cambridge, MA  02142   *

bhelf@athena.mit.edu (Bill Helfinstine) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.175456.21919@nntp-server.caltech.edu> rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:
>>I'm gonna go for broke: anyone know of an overlay for DesTerm that allows
>>for Kermit file transfers?
>
>I'm gonna go for broke too: if such an overlay doesn't exist, if somebody
>could reference me to (1) a description of the algorithm for implementing the
>Kermit protocol, and (2) a description of what needs be done to program a
>DesTerm overly, I will attempt to write such an overlay myself, eventually.
>
>-Rob Knop
>rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

I can help with part (1).  I have seen a fairly thick paperback book called
something like _The Kermit File Transfer Protocol_.  It is written by the
original developers of Kermit, so is very detailed and explicit in its
description.  I don't recall the author's names, but I'm sure Caltech's
libraries would have it.

Bill Helfinstine
bhelf@athena.mit.edu

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (02/26/91)

Randy, Bill, thank you both for the info.

Regarding DesTerm, does anybody know if there are system routies for things
like disk access, RS-232 access, and perhaps keyboard/screen I/O which a
potential overlay programmer could access?

Thanks,

-Rob
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

consp24@bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu (consp24) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.220956.20154@athena.mit.edu>, bhelf@athena.mit.edu
(Bill Helfinstine) writes:

|>>I'm gonna go for broke too: if such an overlay doesn't exist, if somebody
|>>could reference me to (1) a description of the algorithm for
implementing the
|>>Kermit protocol, and (2) a description of what needs be done to program a
|>>DesTerm overly, I will attempt to write such an overlay myself, eventually.
|>>
|>>-Rob Knop
|>>rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu
|>

|>I can help with part (1).  I have seen a fairly thick paperback book called
|>something like _The Kermit File Transfer Protocol_.  It is written by the
|>original developers of Kermit, so is very detailed and explicit in its
|>description.  I don't recall the author's names, but I'm sure Caltech's
|>libraries would have it.
|>
|>Bill Helfinstine
|>bhelf@athena.mit.edu

The Kermit Protocol was written by people at Columbia University (New
York City).
You can probably get the documentation from them.

Gregg Riedel

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.234102.23991@nntp-server.caltech.edu> rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:
>Regarding DesTerm, does anybody know if there are system routies for things
>like disk access, RS-232 access, and perhaps keyboard/screen I/O which a
>potential overlay programmer could access?

Why not ask Matthew Desmond, since he IS on the net somewhere...I just
can't find his E-mail address at the moment.  However, I have seen him
post to this forum many times.

Oh wait, here it is...he lists his mail address as desterm@spinq or
desterm@zswamp via UUCP.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/28/91)

In a letter to All, Fuzzy Fox (cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu ) wrote:

 >Why not ask Matthew Desmond, since he IS on the net
 >somewhere...I just
 >can't find his E-mail address at the moment.  However, I
 >have seen him
 >post to this forum many times.

 >Oh wait, here it is...he lists his mail address as
 >desterm@spinq or
 >desterm@zswamp via UUCP.

desterm@zswamp.fidonet.org
matt@spinq.UUCP
...uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!spinq!matt (modify as necessary)

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me