[comp.sys.cbm] C-64 Pet Emulator

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (02/28/91)

Hiya. A long long long time ago, when the C-64 had NO software, just about,
a PET emulator was released, so you could use all the cool PET games.
(like breakout. That is very nice!!)

So: does anyone have it ? And would it be possible for you to upload, uuencode,
etc. or would I need to send a disk ?

Wayne

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (02/28/91)

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) writes:

>Hiya. A long long long time ago, when the C-64 had NO software, just about,
>a PET emulator was released, so you could use all the cool PET games.
>(like breakout. That is very nice!!)

This is the Pet Emulator I have.  It ought to run any purely BASIC Pet program
on a 64:

10 POKE56576,5:POKE53272,4:POKE648,128
20 POKE1024,0:POKE44,4:POKE56,128
30 NEW

Enjoy.  Hope it works!  I was able to get it to work with a bunch of PET stuff,
but not everything.  It may have been M/L subroutines that messed me up.

(For instance, I'm not sure the Kernal Jump table was in the same place on
PETs.)

-Rob

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (02/28/91)

wayne wallace (lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu ) wrote:

 >Hiya. A long long long time ago, when the C-64 had NO
 >software, just about,
 >a PET emulator was released, so you could use all the cool
 >PET games.
 >(like breakout. That is very nice!!)

 >So: does anyone have it ? And would it be possible for you
 >to upload, uuencode,
 >etc. or would I need to send a disk ?

   I'm sure that I have a copy, but no computer & drive to read it with
anymore!

   Anyway, all that the PET emulator did was to move the screen, normally at
$0400, to $8000 and move the default start of basic, normally at $0800, to
$0400.  That way, programs which POKEd directly to the PET screen would work
on the C64.  It didn't offer any additional compatibility for programs that
used ROM calls, i.e. if the ROM calls were incompatible before, the PET
emulator didn't improve anything.

   Still, as you say, it permitted many PET programs (virtually all BASIC
programs) to run on the C64.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.071758.2837@nntp-server.caltech.edu> rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:
>This is the Pet Emulator I have.  It ought to run any purely BASIC Pet program
>on a 64:
>[...]
>Enjoy.  Hope it works!  I was able to get it to work with a bunch of PET stuff,
>but not everything.  It may have been M/L subroutines that messed me up.

There was a more substantial PET emulator made by Jim Butterfield that
actually wedged into Basic and simulated many of the PEEK, POKE, and SYS
calls that work for the PET.  I used to have this program....I'll check
my archives and see if it's still around.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..