[comp.sys.cbm] New Stuf, ETC.

PNNAGATA@MTUS5.BITNET (02/25/91)

Hello, I'd like to introduce myself... My name is Jeff Litz and I'm new
to this environment... If some of you haven't already figured out, I'm
using a friends account to post on here... See, where I have an account,
we're not "PREVILEGED" (that should be PRIVILEGED, my backspace doesn't
work properly).  My path is litz@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on here has heard of Video128?  Well, if
not, it's a 3D animation generator... Kind of like VideoScape for the Amiga.
Just wondering if anyone has seen any of my animations and would like to know
what you think.

Also, did anyone see my program SupraTechnic? (Published in COMPUTE!'s
Gazette, Nov 88, if I remember right.) It "bit-mapped" the top and bottom
borders on the C64.  It doesn't use sprites to pull it off either.

If anyone wants to to a PRIVATE reply (i.e. e-mail) to me, PLEASE send it
to litz@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu  I'm not sure my friend would like getting mail
not intended for him.

kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (Joel Kolstad) (03/03/91)

In article <91055.133430PNNAGATA@MTUS5.BITNET> PNNAGATA@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>Also, did anyone see my program SupraTechnic? (Published in COMPUTE!'s
>Gazette, Nov 88, if I remember right.) It "bit-mapped" the top and bottom
>borders on the C64.  It doesn't use sprites to pull it off either.

Hmm... don't think I saw this.  Tell us how it's done!  As I recall, if you
told VIC to switch from 24 row to 25 row mode on scan lines below 192, you
got a borderless bottom.  If I recall, though, you had to keep the background
color black because there was some "black garbage" down there. :-)

I haven't heard of getting a bitmap, though.  (With the above method, you
could use sprites in the top/bottom border...)

Interestingly enough, the same things happens for the side borders as for the
top/bottom borders if you switch VIC from 38 to 40 column mode at the
corresponding columns.  Unfortunately, this is almost impossible on a
1MHz 64, and even on a 4MHz 64 eats up too much CPU time to be real useful...
(Since you need to interrupts twice every scan lines... :-( )  And of course,
not many people have 4MHz 64's anyway!

						---Joel Kolstad
						kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu

rloon@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Ronald van Loon) (03/04/91)

In <1991Mar3.010903.14011@spool.cs.wisc.edu> kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (Joel Kolstad) writes:

||In article <91055.133430PNNAGATA@MTUS5.BITNET> PNNAGATA@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
||>Also, did anyone see my program SupraTechnic? (Published in COMPUTE!'s
||>Gazette, Nov 88, if I remember right.) It "bit-mapped" the top and bottom
||>borders on the C64.  It doesn't use sprites to pull it off either.
||Hmm... don't think I saw this.  Tell us how it's done!  As I recall, if you
||told VIC to switch from 24 row to 25 row mode on scan lines below 192, you
||got a borderless bottom.  If I recall, though, you had to keep the background
||color black because there was some "black garbage" down there. :-)

The black garbage is caused by the fact that the VIC repeatedly places the
value of $3fff (depends on videobank, of course) in the border ; by repeatedly
changing the value you can achieve scrolling, bitmaps, patterns and the like.

||I haven't heard of getting a bitmap, though.  (With the above method, you
||could use sprites in the top/bottom border...)
||Interestingly enough, the same things happens for the side borders as for the
||top/bottom borders if you switch VIC from 38 to 40 column mode at the
||corresponding columns.  Unfortunately, this is almost impossible on a
||1MHz 64, and even on a 4MHz 64 eats up too much CPU time to be real useful...
||(Since you need to interrupts twice every scan lines... :-( )  And of course,
||not many people have 4MHz 64's anyway!

You don't need a 4MHz 64 ! Actually, a few years back, a cracking group called
'1001' released a program called 'ESCOS' (Expanded Screen Construction Set)
which let you take a bitmap and display (part of it) full screen (and I mean
FULL SCREEN, including borders etc.) I don't think it worked on 'NTSC' 64's,
because of timing problems.

Personally, I used the 'trick' for displaying errormessages in the border. A
sample of that can be found in my Graphics Transformer II, a program which is
able to transform (or just plain show) pictures of about 44 different
graphicspackages (like Artstudio I & II, Doodle...) formats to eachother. It
will even let you display complete PrintMaster and PrintShop pictures. More
important, it's free ! It should be uploaded (or maybe already is) to
milton pretty soon (right, Scott ?).
--
Ronald van Loon (rloon@praxis.cs.ruu.nl)

There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do -
once you find them - Jimmy Croce "Time in a bottle"
--
Ronald van Loon (rloon@praxis.cs.ruu.nl)

There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do -
once you find them - Jimmy Croce "Time in a bottle"

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (03/04/91)

In reference to removing the side borders, a friend of mine has written a
little program that does just that... also, there is a demo from Europe
called Bone Hard, and they do some amazing things with vertical rasters and
displaying stuff in the side borders...
And everyone thought that vertical rasters were impossible... guess not..

	+   Mike Digdon: digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca  + My 64 can still get the +
	+		 mike@ac.dal.ca	      + job at hand completed!! +