[comp.sys.cbm] A couple of Kermit questions...

rferguso@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert S. Ferguson) (01/31/91)

I have downloaded the speed-patch version of Kermit from milton,
and renamed it "kermit" so that it would automatically load up
when I turn my C-128 on.  Unfortunately, after it loads, it just
goes into 64 mode without running.  Since it loads so much faster
in the 128 mode, I would like to know how to get the auto-boot
to work.  Is there another patch available that will do this?

Also, I finally got the 9600 baud connection to my school's
computers that I had been waiting for.  Is there any way to
get Kermit to go faster than 2400 baud?

Any help would be appreciated.
<boB<
--
 Where's the KA-BOOM?                           | Robert Ferguson
 There was supposed to be an enormous,          | rferguso@ecn.purdue.edu (or)

rferguso@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Robert S. Ferguson) (01/31/91)

(Still having posting problems.  Sorry if this is a re-post)

tjlee@iastate.edu (Tom Lee) (03/03/91)

In <9101310103.AA29669@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> rferguso@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Robert S. Ferguson) writes:

>Also, I finally got the 9600 baud connection to my school's
>computers that I had been waiting for.  Is there any way to
>get Kermit to go faster than 2400 baud?

	I doubt it, because 2400 baud is a stretch (at least for a 64), but
I've been wrong before.
--
Tom "Wind-blowing-over-the-mountain" Lee  | BITNET:  TAB47@ISUVAX        |  /
           "The Lamplighter"              | Internet:  tjlee@iastate.edu | (o)

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/05/91)

Tom Lee (tjlee@iastate.edu ) wrote:

 >In <9101310103.AA29669@gn.ecn.purdue.edu>
 >rferguso@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Robert S. Ferguson) writes:

>Also, I finally got the 9600 baud connection to my school's
>computers that I had been waiting for.  Is there any way to
>get Kermit to go faster than 2400 baud?

 >        I doubt it, because 2400 baud is a stretch (at least
 >for a 64), but I've been wrong before.

   It is a stretch only in the minds of those who think that you can't
improve on Commodore's operating system.

NOTE: There are a lot of 'wedges' out there, suggesting to me that there's a
*lot* of people who think that the C64 OS can be improved upon.

   Back in '87, I wrote some drivers that did 4800 bps (half duplex, fine for
Kermit file transfers - 3600 bps for those that type fast while receiving a
steady stream of data).  Those eventually evolved into 9600 bps routines in
Chris Smeets' and, with many improvements, Matt Desmond's C128 terminal
programs (9600 bps on stock C128s).

   Of course there is always the SwiftLink, the 6551 ACIA cartridge for the
C64, VIC, etc... and it was designed by the same folks that maintain &
distribute C64 Kermit, so I'm willing to bet that they're compatible.  So,
while I don't think that C64 Kermit can put it to good use, a C64
owner with a SwiftLink can probably run Kermit at 38,400 bps.

   I feel *much* better now...

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me