[comp.sys.cbm] 1700 RAM Expander

vu2416@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (vu2416) (03/03/91)

Can I expand the 1700 RAM expander to 512K? 1 Meg? etc...  Or is it
just the 1764 that is home-expandable?

Gregg Riedel
consp24@bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu

scott@uwav1.u.washington.edu (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar3.005544.24466@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, vu2416@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (vu2416) writes:
> Can I expand the 1700 RAM expander to 512K? 1 Meg? etc...  Or is it
> just the 1764 that is home-expandable?
>
> Gregg Riedel
> consp24@bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu

Absolutely, the 1700 REU, like the 1764 REU, can be expanded to 512K
and beyond. For more info on how to go about in doing this, get the
text file detailing this project from Milton FTP site, subidrectory
"public/download/c64/infos-ideas-projects"

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

consp24@bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu (consp24) (03/05/91)

I checked the 1764 REU docs....  They say that the 1700 has 64 kbit chips
while the 1764 and 1750 have 256 kbit chips.  Do the 64 kbit chips need
to be replaced with 256 kbit ones?

If anyone has done an upgrade on the 128K 1700 REU, I'd appreciate knowing
the differences between what's in the docs for the 1764 and what needs to
be done for the 1700.

Thanks.

Gregg Riedel
consp24@bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu

P.S.  The final bug fixes and compilations are being done for Unix 128 v3.00
Milton should get a copy soon... (Scott- I'll be in touch real soon...)

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (03/05/91)

I have a 1700, and I upgraded it to a 1750 by changeing all the chips in
there.  If your goning to do it, dont even worry about trying to save
the 64K chips, since you will have to de-solder 255 pins, its a pain in
the butt for something worth less then 50 cents per chip, grad a pair of
fine noise cutters, and snipp the leads off, and trash the 64K chips.
If you really want to save them, it will take proabaly 4 hours of desoldering.

But, yes, the 256K chips work great in a 1700.

ctfm