[comp.sys.cbm] X-Terminal for C-64/128 ?

jbyrd@husc8.harvard.edu (John Byrd) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.151632.13860@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp24@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (consp24) writes:
>>"D'ya think an X-Windows terminal for the C64 would go down well?"
>> - Matthew Desmond (of DesTerm fame)
>Actually, the IBM VGA X software I saw wasn't TOO bad, although it did have
>a ethernet line running to it.  But seriously... I just can't see the 1200x900
>Sun SPARCstation1 I'm running X on right now being faithfully reproduced on
>a 64 in 320x200 mode.  Maybe an Xterm for the 128 in interlace mode, though...

It's actually not a bad idea, but I'm not sure if anyone's actually thought
of the programming investment required for this sort of thing.  Think of
the fonts, windows, icons, mouse emulation, and all that which has to be
specified to the 64 or 128.  Also think about how much more *slowly* this
kind of terminal would run compared to DesTerm or VT100; all your 6502 time
would be eaten up driving the graphics screen.  Would you care to debug
this sort of monster?

It sounds fairly silly.  So, if anyone or any group decides to develop it,
drop me e-mail and I'll see if I can't code a little and add it to the
package ... wouldn't it be great if X actually worked on the 64?

John Byrd
jbyrd@husc8.harvard.edu