[comp.sys.cbm] 4 MhZ 64

ap515@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Tom Wilson) (03/05/91)

I've seen this subject of a 4 MHz 64 mentioned in the past.  Can
anyone give me any information on that?  From what I've heard,
all you need to do is replace the 6510 with a faster version of
it.  What is the number of the replacement chip?

--
Tom Wilson
ap515@cleveland.freenet.edu

kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (Joel Kolstad) (03/05/91)

In article <9103050059.AA15734@cwns9.INS.CWRU.Edu> ap515@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:

>I've seen this subject of a 4 MHz 64 mentioned in the past.  Can
>anyone give me any information on that?  From what I've heard,
>all you need to do is replace the 6510 with a faster version of
>it.  What is the number of the replacement chip?

Ha ha.  Not quite.  Merely speeding up the 6510 and doing nothing else will
merely confuse VIC, SID, the CIAs, and probably other things I've forgotten.

You need to get an accelerator board that has it's own memory and a 4MHz
65C02.  The board has circuitry that interfaces to the "slow" 1MHz bus of
the standard 64. (Whenever you write to I/O memory, it goes over and tells
the "real" 64 about the write.  Otherwise, everything is executing out of
the acclerator's memory and 65C02...)

As far as I know, Schnedler Systems is the only place still selling an
acclerator board.  Theirs is 1/4MHz switchable, only.  I do recall another
acclerator that had a potentiometer that let you vary the speed from something
like 100KHz to 4MHz, but doubt it's still being produced.

There are a few gotchas: You can't use a 1764 (or any device that uses
DMA) with an accelerator being the biggest.  Also, unless you're into
heavy cartridge hacking, don't expect an accelerator to let you use your
favorite "hacker" cartridges (Final Cart, S.S., etc.)  Basically, after you
install an accelerator, your expansion port can only support I/O devices --
data acqusition boards, GeoRAM, Swiftlinks, etc.  (Of course, the
accelerators I know of have disable swtiches for the times you _do_ want
to use the aforementioned stuff...)

Schnedler Systems was at one time considering going into a joint venture with
CMD (the Jiffy DOS folks) to make an acclerator/1764 compatible RAM expansion/
Jiffy DOS board, but these plans apparently fell through.

						---Joel Kolstad
						kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (03/05/91)

No way!  It cant be that simple can it?  In order to do it you must use
one of those upgrade boards that plug into your cart port.  I have one,
its very old, but very VERY fast.  Its acutally got a dial on it that lets
you control your speed.  Its manufuactured by swiss comp, and its for
sale for $100.00.  It works, but it does take up your cartridge port, and
does cause some conflitcs with some software, but for the most part its
really cool!  But beware, this thing WONT PLUG INTO A C128 or 128D, even in
64 mode, it FAILS!

For Sale :  $100.00

ctfm

cinf07@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Miguel Pedro et Louis Sabbat) (03/08/91)

In article <9103050059.AA15734@cwns9.INS.CWRU.Edu> ap515@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:

> From what I've heard,
>all you need to do is replace the 6510 with a faster version of
>it.  What is the number of the replacement chip?

Changing the CPU alone won't make it work. The system clock must also be
changed so that you can run at 4 MHz.

Other problems might occur though. The VIC chip won't run at 4 MHz; it'll
still have to be accessed at 1 MHz.

If you want an accelerator for the C-64, you can always check out the
Turbo Master CPU Accelerator from Schneidler (sorry if I got that wrong)
Enterprises. They use the 65C02 on their board.

--
   Miguel Pedro
   (Send any E-mail to cinf07@info.polymtl.ca)