FidoNet:  SYSOP, 1:221/171            | N2M 5E6 CANADA
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

consp24@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (consp24) (03/05/91)

>Overheard in my office today:
>
>"D'ya think an X-Windows terminal for the C64 would go down well?"
> - Matthew Desmond (of DesTerm fame)
>
>It'll go down *slow*, I say. <grin>
>
>"In that case, I'll wait 'till next week", he says.

Actually, the IBM VGA X software I saw wasn't TOO bad, although it did have
a ethernet line running to it.  But seriously... I just can't see the 1200x900
Sun SPARCstation1 I'm running X on right now being faithfully reproduced on
a 64 in 320x200 mode.  Maybe an Xterm for the 128 in interlace mode, though....

Gregg Riedel
consp24@bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.151632.13860@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>
consp24@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (consp24) writes:
>>Overheard in my office today:
>>"D'ya think an X-Windows terminal for the C64 would go down well?"
>> - Matthew Desmond (of DesTerm fame)
>>
>Maybe an Xterm for the 128 in interlace mode, though....

Uhhh, guys... I hate to burst your bubble but what precisely is Desmond
suggesting?  To get X-Windows, you need TCP services.  Otherwise, all
you have is a fancy windowing VT100.  I can't see what you'd gain from
that.

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/09/91)

consp24 (consp24@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu ) wrote:
>Overheard in my office today:
>
>"D'ya think an X-Windows terminal for the C64 would go down well?"
> - Matthew Desmond (of DesTerm fame)
>
>It'll go down *slow*, I say. <grin>
>
>"In that case, I'll wait 'till next week", he says.

 >Maybe an Xterm for the 128 in interlace mode, though....

   Matt warned me that some yahoo was going to reply as if we were serious
about X for the 64!

   <grin>

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553

Marc Roussel (mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca ) wrote:

 >Uhhh, guys... I hate to burst your bubble but what precisely
 >is Desmond
 >suggesting?  To get X-Windows, you need TCP services.
 >Otherwise, all
 >you have is a fancy windowing VT100.  I can't see what you'd
 >gain from that.

   One more time: we're KIDDING!

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (03/10/91)

Has Matt finished his Mac II emulator for the 64 yet?  First things first.

-Rob
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/11/91)

Robert Andrew Knop (rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu ) wrote:

 >Has Matt finished his Mac II emulator for the 64 yet?  First
 >things first.

   That'll have to wait until he finishes his C128 emulator for the Amiga.

   You wanna know what's funny about that?  He really *is* writing a C128
emulator for the Amiga...

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553

hermit@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (William R. Ward) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar7.031117.19745@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) writes:
|In article <1991Mar5.151632.13860@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>
|consp24@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (consp24) writes:
|>>Overheard in my office today:
|>>"D'ya think an X-Windows terminal for the C64 would go down well?"
|>> - Matthew Desmond (of DesTerm fame)
|>Maybe an Xterm for the 128 in interlace mode, though....
|
|Uhhh, guys... I hate to burst your bubble but what precisely is Desmond
|suggesting?  To get X-Windows, you need TCP services.  Otherwise, all
|you have is a fancy windowing VT100.  I can't see what you'd gain from
|that.

Aah, but what about SLIP?

William R Ward                      University of California, Santa Cruz
hermit@thinkum.santa-cruz.ca.us        [...]!ucbvax!ucscc!thinkum!hermit
			Visualize Whirled Peas!!!