[comp.sys.cbm] RGB-TV monitor cable

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (03/08/91)

I am placed in the rather embarassing situation of asking a question which I
know was recently asked, but to whose answer I didn't pay much attention since
at the time I didn't think I would ever want or need to know how to do this.
My question is, where can one get ahold of a cable which will let you display
the 128's 80 column screen in monochrome on a composite monitor or a TV?

Thanks,

-Rob

cshamis@desire.wright.edu (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.163956.2069@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) writes:
> I am placed in the rather embarassing situation of asking a question which I
> know was recently asked, but to whose answer I didn't pay much attention since
> at the time I didn't think I would ever want or need to know how to do this.
> My question is, where can one get ahold of a cable which will let you display
> the 128's 80 column screen in monochrome on a composite monitor or a TV?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rob
This might be a little trickier than you think.  (at Leaset for a TV)
(Which is all i know how to do at the moment)  To send the RGBI output to a
TV, the only way I can think of to do it is to use the MONOCROME pin off the
RGBI port, then send that Info, thru to a RF-Modulator.  Then you can send
the RF-out line into the VHF in on your television.  The better the RF
modulator the better your picture will be on the screen...(The TV helps alot
also.)  I know that RadioShack USED to sell a RF-Modulator, that worked real
well with this application.  The RF Mod.  was from the old TI-99/4A computer, I
think it (The RF-M, can still be purchased but Im no longer sure)
The Exact procedure is fairly simple, keep the RF modualtor grounded, and +12
(Maybey +5) volts going thru it, and the MONOCROME-OUT line from the RGBI port,
and remember to use the two synch wires too! theres a H and V both, run them
ALL into the RF-Mods Pinouts, and BINGO your set-up.  Like I saidits been
over 2 years Since I had to use this method but it works.  IF you use the TI's
Modulator the wire colours are thus :

  Black - Ground
  Red   - Plus 5v (or plus 12v)
  Yellow- Picture (Monocrome ONLY)
  White - Vsynch
  Brown - Hsynch

Please Its been two years since I messed with this, these MAY not be accurate!
But at least you get the idea of what youll need to do.

(Hope your handy with a Soldering Gun those 9-pin connectors are a %$@@$&!!!)

CShamis@Desire.Wright.Edu
CShamis@WSU.Bitnet

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/10/91)

Robert Andrew Knop (rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu ) wrote:

 >My question is, where can one get ahold of a cable which
 >will let you display
 >the 128's 80 column screen in monochrome on a composite
 >monitor or a TV?

   I don't know about modulating it for a TV, but you can wire pin 7 of the
RGB port (monochrome signal) to the luma (or video) inputs of most composite
monitors such as the 1701/1702.  Don't forget also to wire the ground... pin
1 I think.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

bwildasi@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) (03/10/91)

The cable can be purchased from Tenex, (800) 776-6781, cat. no. 40771. It
costs $24.95. This is probably an exorbitant price given the components that
go into it, but it has been a godsend for me since for $100 dollars (a $75
mono. monitor plus the cable) I have crisp, clear CGA, switchable instantly
to composite to run 64 software. (I seem to remember that the results are
not so hot on a color composite monitor, however...)

Hope this helps.
--
::Ben Wildasin:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::bwildasi@ucs.indiana.edu::

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (03/12/91)

As someone here posted, Tenex does sell an RGB to monochrome composite
cable for $24.95.  I am amazed at this price, because Software Support
International also sells such a cable, for $7.95.  What do you suppose
the difference is?

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..