[comp.sys.cbm] Improved RS-232 routines

melbrec@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mark E. Elbrecht) (03/10/91)

Hi folks...

I've read a lot about the improved RS-232 routine that appeared in The
Transactor in 1989. I have (at least I used to have) some Transactors but I do
not have that particular article. Would it be possible for someone to post the
source code if it isn't too long? If it is too long or no one is willing to
post the source code, would it be possible for me to send someone a SASE plus
some change to cover the photocopying costs? If one of you who has the article
could send your postal address to MELBREC @ HUBCAP.CLEMSON.EDU I will send the
SASE off the next day. Tnx in advance! Mark.....

--

:-------------------------------------------------------------
: melbrec @ hubcap.clemson.edu	::: .- -... ....- --.- -..-  :

bruce@watnxt2.ucr.edu (Ahmon Dancy) (03/11/91)

I am also interested in RS232 routines and how they work.  I have tried and
half-way succeeded operating a 1670 via cassette port.. (output only so far).
Documented RS232 routines would be very helpful I think.

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar10.034043.19422@hubcap.clemson.edu> melbrec@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mark E. Elbrecht) writes:

>Hi folks...
>
>I've read a lot about the improved RS-232 routine that appeared in The
>Transactor in 1989. I have (at least I used to have) some Transactors but I do
>not have that particular article. Would it be possible for someone to post the
>source code if it isn't too long? If it is too long or no one is willing to
>post the source code, would it be possible for me to send someone a SASE plus
>some change to cover the photocopying costs? If one of you who has the article
>could send your postal address to MELBREC @ HUBCAP.CLEMSON.EDU I will send the
>SASE off the next day. Tnx in advance! Mark.....

Hmmm... I would also be interested in the source code. Of course, if that
is a problem, I would also be more than happy to send a SASE with costs
for photocopying... I have just about all of the Transactors, except of
course, for that one... and the RS-232 routine article would be nice to
have..

	+   Mike Digdon: digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca  + My 64 can still get the +
	+		 mike@ac.dal.ca	      + job at hand completed!! +

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (03/11/91)

I have a copy of the Transactor RS-232 routines.  (They perform perfectly,
by the way.)  I can put them up if there are no copyright problems.  I'm not
sure how that works with stuff in magazines.

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (03/11/91)

If I remember the exact wording, I believe that any software published in the
T is free to copy and not to sell.. they are pretty linient about stuff
like that... all they care about is someone selling the copies of T stuff..
so I think that you will be able to put them up..

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (03/12/91)

In article <11147@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) writes:

>I have a copy of the Transactor RS-232 routines.  (They perform perfectly,
>by the way.)  I can put them up if there are no copyright problems.  I'm not
>sure how that works with stuff in magazines.

Since the Transactor is now a quite dead magazine, it is rather unclear
what the copyright status or distributability of its articles are.
Since the info is genuinely useful, I would hope that the people who put
together Transactor, and the author as well, would look kindly on public
distribution of the source code and accompanying article.

I don't suppose any editors from the T, or George Hug, the article's
author, are on the net somewhere?

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

melbrec@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mark E. Elbrecht) (03/12/91)

In article <11147@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) writes:

>I have a copy of the Transactor RS-232 routines.  (They perform perfectly,
>by the way.)  I can put them up if there are no copyright problems.  I'm not
>sure how that works with stuff in magazines.

There should be no copyright problems. While the Transactor does hold the
copyright they consider the programs in their magazines public domain. A
statement to that affect should be on the first page somewhere. The Transactor
is (or was) the only computer magazine that has that policy that I know of.
And I appreciate you helping me and the others who would like to see the
source to the rs-232 routine..... Mark

--
Mark Elbrecht  .- -... ....- --.- -..-

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.230105.4460@evax.arl.utexas.edu> cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:
>In article <11147@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) writes:
>>
>>I have a copy of the Transactor RS-232 routines.  (They perform perfectly,
>>by the way.)  I can put them up if there are no copyright problems.  I'm not
>>sure how that works with stuff in magazines.
>
>Since the Transactor is now a quite dead magazine, it is rather unclear
>what the copyright status or distributability of its articles are.
>Since the info is genuinely useful, I would hope that the people who put
>together Transactor, and the author as well, would look kindly on public
>distribution of the source code and accompanying article.
>
>I don't suppose any editors from the T, or George Hug, the article's
>author, are on the net somewhere?

George hangs around on FIDO Net CBM Tech Echo I believe...

These serial routines articles have been floating around a lot lately.
CBM appears to be the next CP/M in terms of user hacking. Since support
has just about gone away, the users are getting a lot more active.

Hooray, I say!!!

BTW, George does not mind the use of hid routines... Bell Term uses them
along with others. I think he gets visual credit, not sure if any
monetary...

John Luce               | Life is the leading cause of death
Alcatel Network Systems | -----------------------------------------
Raleigh, NC             | Standard Disclaimer Applies
919-850-6787            | Mail? Here? Try aurs01!aurw46!luce@mcnc.org
                        |        or ...!mcnc!aurgate!luce
-------------------------------- or John.Luce@f130.n151.z1.fidonet.org

CTuna@cup.portal.com (Don F Gladden) (03/13/91)

I have that issue, and will be glad to copy the article if you send
a SASE and a buck or so to cover the cost.

Address is:

Don Gladden
PO Box 247
Fullerton, CA  92632-0247
(714) 526-3270

dattier@vpnet.chi.il.us (David W. Tamkin) (03/14/91)

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (David DeSimone) wrote in
<1991Mar11.230105.4460@evax.arl.utexas.edu>:

| Since the Transactor is now a quite dead magazine, it is rather unclear
| what the copyright status or distributability of its articles are.
| Since the info is genuinely useful, I would hope that the people who put
| together Transactor, and the author as well, would look kindly on public
| distribution of the source code and accompanying article.

Transactor always had a policy that all code it published was released into
public domain.  That didn't apply to article texts, of course, but it did to
any programs included in articles they published.

David Tamkin  PO Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  dattier@vpnet.chi.il.us
GEnie:D.W.TAMKIN  CIS:73720,1570  MCIMail:426-1818  708 518 6769  312 693 0591