[comp.sys.cbm] Kermit troubles

swagten@psy.vu.nl (De Zwachtels) (03/13/91)

Hi there Fooks!

I have a little trouble with KERMIT. When I start the KERMIT server
at the host computer, it immediately sends an INIT packet. By the
time I return to my local c64 command mode and give the send or
receive command, my c64 kermit keeps waiting for the INIT packet
which is already sent a little time ago.
The c64 kermit keeps sending his INIT packet, but the host kermit
server does not respond...
My question is what is the matter? Is the host kermit program
malfunctioning? Any wrong settings?
I also tried it with KERMIT at a PC and the same thing happend.
(I used to have no problems with kermit, so I suspect the host kermit
of being the bad guy)
Please help this desperate kermitter..

 Many thanx in advance,

	George Neervoort
	   login: swagten@wundt.psy.vu.nl

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (03/14/91)

In article <9286@star.cs.vu.nl> swagten@psy.vu.nl (De Zwachtels) writes:
>I have a little trouble with KERMIT. When I start the KERMIT server
>at the host computer, it immediately sends an INIT packet. By the
>time I return to my local c64 command mode and give the send or
>receive command, my c64 kermit keeps waiting for the INIT packet
>which is already sent a little time ago.
>The c64 kermit keeps sending his INIT packet, but the host kermit
>server does not respond...

I used to have this problem with Kermit, and I believe it came out that
the problem had to do with parity.  When I switched from 7-E-1 to 8-N-1
parity, the problem went away entirely.  Curiously, this problem does
not occur with the speed-patched version.

I don't have the Kermit spec, but I believe that it does not assume that
an INIT packet (or any packet) has been received until it has been
acknowledged by the other Kermit.

Perhaps you may find that putting your host into Kermit Server mode
gives better results.  In that case, use the SEND, GET, and FINISH
commands on your local Kermit, without returning to connect mode.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..