[comp.sys.cbm] C128 joystick 1 -> 2 ?

solow@DPW.COM (Barry Solow) (03/13/91)

      My son has inherited my old C128 ( a rather early one, if that
makes any difference).  He uses it to play with Disney and Sesame
Street software.  Recently, we turned it on only to learn that joystick
port 2 isn't working properly; it doesn't read any up-movement.  Some
of the software requires the use of joystick port 2.  Is there any
(software) way to tell the system to read joystick port 1 as 2?

Barry Solow
Davis Polk & Wardwell
uunet!esquire!solow or cmcl2!esquire!solow

iachetta@ec.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard N Iachetta) (03/13/91)

In article <3111@esquire.dpw.com> solow@DPW.COM (Barry Solow) writes:

>      My son has inherited my old C128 ( a rather early one, if that
>makes any difference).  He uses it to play with Disney and Sesame
>Street software.  Recently, we turned it on only to learn that joystick
>port 2 isn't working properly; it doesn't read any up-movement.  Some
>of the software requires the use of joystick port 2.  Is there any
>(software) way to tell the system to read joystick port 1 as 2?
>
>Barry Solow
>Davis Polk & Wardwell
>uunet!esquire!solow or cmcl2!esquire!solow

I don't know any easy commands to type, but I do know that the cartridge
Super Snapshot V5 has an option to interchange ports 1 and 2 so that any
software will think it is reading port 2 when you are actually using port
1.  I have no idea how it does it though.  It is a very powerful cartrige,
so it may not be worth the money (about $60) if that is all you are going
to use it for.

Rich Iachetta (iachetta@ecn.purdue.edu)

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (03/14/91)

In article <3111@esquire.dpw.com> solow@DPW.COM (Barry Solow) writes:
>Recently, we turned it on only to learn that joystick
>port 2 isn't working properly; it doesn't read any up-movement.

The most common cause of this is a zapped CIA chip, usually by touching
the joystick port with static electricity on one's fingers.  Since the
ports are right next to the power switch, this has a high probability of
occurring.  The best way to avoid it is to always leave joysticks (or
whatever) plugged into both ports at all times.

The CIA chip is easy to replace on a C128, and can be purchased for as
little as $12.50 from many repair shops, such as Computer Shoppe of
Alabama.  (205) 739-0040.  Ask for a 6526 chip.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) (03/18/91)

  I don't know what is wrong with your port 2, but my friends just got the
same problem.  He said he turned it on, and port two won't go up.  Please
send me any information you get.
--
joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US / Luposlipaphobia:  the fear of being pursued
Trebor Sux   CBM rules       /  by timber wolves around a kitchen table