[comp.sys.cbm] Thick Pixel Mode

PNNAGATA@MTUS5.BITNET (03/09/91)

I'm currently using a C128 with 64K VDCRAM, new roms (with quite a few
added 'hacks' and nifty extensions), and an IBM PCjr monitor (I had to
modify it a little since it doesn't have a DB9 cable; it had a BUILT-IN
20 pin cable (if I remember right)), and thick pixel mode works fine.

Which version of the VDC do you have? (To the person have the problem).
Mine is the 8563R9 (version 1).

There are three different versions of the VDC - 8563R7A / 8563R8 / 8563R9.
version 0 is the 8563R7A. The other two are version 1. The version number can
be read from location $D600 (bits 0-2). The difference between the chips
has really never been published, but each one requires a slightly different
configuration.

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (03/13/91)

PNNAGATA@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

>There are three different versions of the VDC - 8563R7A / 8563R8 / 8563R9.
>version 0 is the 8563R7A. The other two are version 1. The version number can
>be read from location $D600 (bits 0-2). The difference between the chips
>has really never been published, but each one requires a slightly different
>configuration.

I am not sure which version I have, but I would guess the earliest based on
how long I've had my 128 (over 4 years now).  I'll pop it open and check it
out sometime.  I'll post which I have here so the others which have the
problem can compare there version numbers with mine and yours.

-Rob
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

warren@col.hp.com (Warren Tustin) (03/19/91)

I have an 8563R7A and like I said, my thick pixel mode doesn't seem to work;
however, again this is with the composite signal from the RGB port.  It would
be interesting to find out if the chip has anything to do with this problem.
I would recommend the software method to figure out the vintage of your chip.
I had my C128 apart to install new ROMs, and the 8563 is under a metal display
cover, and so it is not really easy to get at.

warren@col.hp.com