[comp.sys.cbm] reading/writing other formats with 1581

JBK4@psuvm.psu.edu (03/14/91)

A while ago someone posted an interesting response to my post about looking for
 a prg that would let me read/write Amiga formats with a 1581.  He said that RU
N Magazine had published the program I was looking for.  The prg also allowed r
eading/writing of several different formats.  If anyone knows the prg I'm talki
ng about please send me the issue in which it appeared and the name & author of
 the program.  Thanks.

Jason Koszarsky, JBK4@PSUVM

cinf07@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Miguel Pedro et Louis Sabbat) (03/19/91)

In article <91073.080226JBK4@psuvm.psu.edu> JBK4@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>A while ago someone posted an interesting response to my post about looking for
> a prg that would let me read/write Amiga formats with a 1581.  He said that RU
>N Magazine had published the program I was looking for.  The prg also allowed r
>eading/writing of several different formats.  If anyone knows the prg I'm talki
>ng about please send me the issue in which it appeared and the name & author of
> the program.  Thanks.

The program was FORMAT EXECUTIVE; I saw the add in either RUN, Commodore
Magazine, or Compute's Gazette (Sorry I can't remember... :-)

I'll try to find the add tonight and post an answer later. I might not have it
because I don't buy magazines regularly... only when there's something REALLY
interresting.

--
   Miguel Pedro
   (Send any E-mail to cinf07@info.polymtl.ca)

cinf07@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Miguel Pedro et Louis Sabbat) (03/20/91)

I didn't find the add that I was looking for last night, but I did find an
article about Format Executive.
It was in Compute's Commodore Buyer's Guide 1989  (a magazine with over
a thousand products described).

From what's said in the article, it (basically) looks like Big Blue Reader
i.e. supports IBM and a number of CP/M formats. Unfortunately, it doesn't
support the 1581 and only runs on a C128.

I apologize if I got anyone's hopes high. The add I saw probably said
something like: '...also reads others formats...'
and I just assumed it meant Amiga, Apple, etc... instead of CP/M.

If you want to check it out anyway (maybe a newer version accepts Amiga
and/or Apple formats and supports the 1581...), here it is:

Format Executive 3.0   by
Powersoft
P.O. Box 7333
Bradenton, FL 34210

The price was $59.95 (don't forget the magazine was the january 1989
edition).