[comp.sys.cbm] RAMLink

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) (03/15/91)

Hi everyone.

I just received a production RAMLink from Creative Micro Designs (CMD).  I
have been using it quite a bit today (in fact, it was included in a demo I
did for a user group this evening).  It so far has been very impressive.

I have my 512K REU plugged into the "RAM Port", which yields me 1984 blocks
free on device 16, partition 1 (the device # can be changed).  I also have
a 1 Mb RAMCard installed, which yields me 3776 blocks free on device 16,
partition 2.

I am using Desterm 2.01 (beta) copied into the RAMLink with no trouble.  I
also have a SwiftLink-232 plugged into the "Pass-Thru Port" and everything
works well together.  I have also tried Dialogue 128 and had no problems.
(For both of these programs I pressed the "Swap 8" switch to make the RAMLink
temporarily device 8 and my 1571 device 16.  I haven't tried using these
programs yet with the RL being device 16.)

If anyone has any questions about the RAMLink, please post and I'll try to
answer them.  I hope to be receiving a CMD HD soon and will try out the
parallel transfers that RAMLink affords then.

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu () (03/19/91)

I have a question, dose this device require the swapping of any roms
in your computer?  If not, then would this pass-thru allow for the use
of a Lt Kernal Hard Drive?

ctfm

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar19.131712.18842@news.nd.edu> treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu writes:
>I have a question, dose this device require the swapping of any roms
>in your computer?  If not, then would this pass-thru allow for the use
>of a Lt Kernal Hard Drive?

The RAMLink has its own Kernal ROM (JiffyDOS built-in) which overrides the
ROM in the computer.  I don't think a Lt. Kernal host adapter works too well
in the pass-thru slot because it also tries to force its own ROMs into the
memory map.  (Same problem happens with IEEE interfaces.)