[comp.sys.cbm] 1541 Blues

ap515@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Tom Wilson) (03/23/91)

Just recently my 1541 has started acting up on me.  It will work
fine for a while, then, it will refuse to load anything from
the disk.  It searches the disk, but it's as if it's encountered
a read error.  The disks are not the problem as I've tested them
on other drives and had no problems.  My question is:  Is one
of the 6522's or the 6502 bad?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Tom Wilson
ap515@cleveland.freenet.edu

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (03/23/91)

ap515@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Tom Wilson) writes:
>Just recently my 1541 has started acting up on me.  It will work
>fine for a while, then, it will refuse to load anything from
>the disk.  It searches the disk, but it's as if it's encountered
>a read error.  The disks are not the problem as I've tested them
>on other drives and had no problems.  My question is:  Is one
>of the 6522's or the 6502 bad?

This sounds very much like the infamous alignment problem.  (Yeah, yeah, yeah,
I know, blaming it on alignment is sort of like blaming 64 problems on the
power supply, but don't you agree that this sounds like that???)  It is
actually relatively easy to fix.  There are some places you can send it away
to get aligned, although for less than the cost of an alignment you can buy a
aligment testing program that includes instructions to do it yourself- and it
is only minorly frusturating to do so.  The one I've got is Free Spirit's
1541/1571 alignment program, and I aligned my 1541 with it a couple of years
ago and had good results.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

yanoff@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Scott `The_Edge` Yanoff) (03/23/91)

My disk drive is 7 1/2 years old...and sometimes has that problem.
The problem could be what you mentioned, or it could be something else,
such as alignment prooblems or the drivemotor is going.  To keep my drive
aligned, I run a small program someone gave me called Hydro Aligner and that somehow bangs the head into place so thaat
it runs faster and quieter.
After 7 1/2 years though, I suppose I am ready for a new drive, especially
since I cann't download with it, it doesnt seem to CLOSE files when downloading
.  The last block is supposed to be a *
and it leaves the file open...that is
a bummer when you've just downloadex
a 200 block file and it is left open
aand you can't use it

any suggestions?
-Scott

--
  ()                    yanoff@csd4.csd.uwm.edu
  /\          _/_ _/_   yanoff@miller.cs.uwm.edu

taae8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (03/27/91)

More than likely it is the alignment of the disk drive instead of a blown chip.

Paul Cornett
"The Hunter"
Don't Blame Me, I Just Exist Here!

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (03/27/91)

In article <9103221704.AA09898@cwns10.INS.CWRU.Edu> ap515@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:

>Just recently my 1541 has started acting up on me.  It will work
>fine for a while, then, it will refuse to load anything from
>the disk.  It searches the disk, but it's as if it's encountered
>a read error.

This is probably a heat problem.  If your drive heats up too much, the
parts will expand, and the drive will go out of alignment.  When it
cools off, it will return to its previous alignment.  1541's are not
noted for their heat dissipation.

Get a small fan to blow cool air across your disk drive, and see if that
helps.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

emzx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/27/91)

In article <10450@uwm.edu>,
yanoff@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Scott `The_Edge` Yanoff) writes:

> My disk drive is 7 1/2 years old...and sometimes has that problem.
> The problem could be what you mentioned, or it could be something else,
> such as alignment prooblems or the drivemotor is going.  To keep my drive
> aligned, I run a small program someone gave me called Hydro Aligner and that
> it runs faster and quieter.
> After 7 1/2 years though, I suppose I am ready for a new drive, especially
> since I cann't download with it, it doesnt seem to CLOSE files when downloadi
> .  The last block is supposed to be a *
> and it leaves the file open...that is
> a bummer when you've just downloadex
> a 200 block file and it is left open
> aand you can't use it
>
> any suggestions?
> -Scott

For both of you, almost ALL problems related to loading and such may be blamed
99.9% on alignment for the 1541's.  Either get Cardinal Software's "Drive
Alignner" or a comparable program...fixing it is easy; all you need is a
phillips screwdriver.

For your problem, Scott, pick up another 1541.  You can get one dirt cheap,
used, for about 25-50 nowadays.

rlb@cci632.UUCP (Dick Barnard) (03/27/91)

Sometimes the problems experienced with a 1541
are not always due to misalignment or a defective
component.

My C64 is in the lower level of a raised ranch type house.
Until recently when I had the house air conditioned, my 1541 would
refuse to read my disks on damp days. If I left the 1541 cook
for about 20 to 30 minutes to dry out, it worked perfectly.