[comp.sys.cbm] More on Aprotek C24 problem

s25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/27/91)

Recently, the following message was posted to this newsgroup:

> I am having a problem with my Aprotek Minimodem C24.  I use it with
DesTerm, and it will not detect any of the things it is supposed to detect,
> such as BUSY and DIALTONE and VOICE, etc.  I have the modem settings
> correct.
>
> I used to have the Minimodem C (1200 baud) and it detected BUSY and
> DIALTONE, etc, but this modem hasn't done it since I got it.  I've had it
> for quite a while now.
>
> I had a friend test his 1200 baud to see if it would work with DesTerm
2.00, since when I had the 1200 baud, I was using 1.2, but it worked, so I

> suspect something with the modem.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem with the Minimodem C24?  I would
> appreciate any help.
> --
>
> --
> joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US / Luposlipaphobia:  the fear of being pursued
> Trebor Sux   CBM rules       /  by timber wolves around a kitchen table
> I love ADL                  /   while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor

 I also have a MiniModem C24 and have noticed the same thing. I think that the
DesTerm 2.00 Docs say something about some modems not supporting those
features. I often use Bob'sTerm with my C24 and the modem does not provide
BUSY or VOICE messages with this program either. Further, the manual _does_
state that in the modem's default setting, gained by ATX4, it should display
codes for BUSY and DIALTONE.

 If anyone knows what's up, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

      Thanks,

      Marc Fraioli
      s25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.120505.3647@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> s25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Further, the manual _does_ state that in the modem's default setting,
>gained by ATX4, it should display codes for BUSY and DIALTONE.

I have found that typing ATX4 is no guarantee that the modem will detect
BUSY signals, and I have never seen the VOICE message come across.
However, there are many occassions where the modem does indeed detect a
busy signal, and it seems to depend more on phone systems than anything
else.  If the busy signal sounds loud and clear, the modem usually
detects it, but a soft or muted busy tone might be missed.  So perhaps
your modem works just fine, but the signals are too weak to be detected.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..