[comp.sys.cbm] Modem problem

joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) (03/24/91)

I am having a problem with my Aprotek Minimodem C24.  I use it with
DesTerm, and it will not detect any of the things it is supposed to detect,
such as BUSY and DIALTONE and VOICE, etc.  I have the modem settings
correct.

I used to have the Minimodem C (1200 baud) and it detected BUSY and
DIALTONE, etc, but this modem hasn't done it since I got it.  I've had it
for quite a while now.

I had a friend test his 1200 baud to see if it would work with DesTerm
2.00, since when I had the 1200 baud, I was using 1.2, but it worked, so I
suspect something with the modem.

Has anyone else had this problem with the Minimodem C24?  I would
appreciate any help.
--
joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US / Luposlipaphobia:  the fear of being pursued
Trebor Sux   CBM rules       /  by timber wolves around a kitchen table

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar24.034732.4164@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) writes:
>I am having a problem with my Aprotek Minimodem C24.  I use it with
>DesTerm, and it will not detect any of the things it is supposed to detect,
>such as BUSY and DIALTONE and VOICE, etc.  I have the modem settings
>correct.

It is possible that the modem is in 1670 mode, and a 1670 cannot detect
these sorts of things.  It is also possible that the modem is operating
in another mode due to an ATX command being sent.  Try sending the
command ATX4 to the modem, and see if it makes any difference.  Also be
sure you watch the DIP switch settings to be sure they are correct.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

rferguso@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert S. Ferguson) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar27.102547.17788@evax.arl.utexas.edu> cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:
>In article <1991Mar24.034732.4164@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) writes:
>>I am having a problem with my Aprotek Minimodem C24.  I use it with
>>DesTerm, and it will not detect any of the things it is supposed to detect,
>>such as BUSY and DIALTONE and VOICE, etc.  I have the modem settings
>>correct.
>
>It is possible that the modem is in 1670 mode, and a 1670 cannot detect
>these sorts of things.  It is also possible that the modem is operating
>in another mode due to an ATX command being sent.  Try sending the
>command ATX4 to the modem, and see if it makes any difference.  Also be
>sure you watch the DIP switch settings to be sure they are correct.

Wrong!  A 1670 can detect No Dial Tone, Busy, Ringing, and Voice, but only
after you type ATX2.  You can use this with DesTerm by changing the X1 in
the initial modem sequence to X2.  Also, if you use Kermit, you can type
ATX2DT <phone #>, and it will redial the number up to about 10 times or until
you get through (if the system you are calling is busy).  This means you don't
have to type A/ every time you want to redial.

<boB<
--
 Where's the KA-BOOM?                           | Robert Ferguson
 There was supposed to be an enormous,          | rferguso@ecn.purdue.edu (or)

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (03/29/91)

rferguso@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert S. Ferguson) writes:

>In article... (Fuzzy Fox) writes:
>>In article... (Joystyk) writes:
>>>I am having a problem with my Aprotek Minimodem C24.  I use it with
>>>DesTerm, and it will not detect any of the things it is supposed to detect,
>>>such as BUSY and DIALTONE and VOICE, etc.  I have the modem settings
>>>correct.
>>
>>It is possible that the modem is in 1670 mode, and a 1670 cannot detect
>>these sorts of things....

>Wrong!  A 1670 can detect No Dial Tone, Busy, Ringing, and Voice, but only
>after you type ATX2.

Actually, you are both right.  The older 1670 (the "three dip switch" model)
cannot detect these sorts of things, and does not respond to ATX2.  The newer
("four switch") model is fully Hayes compatible.  Having had my hands on one
of each of these, I am reasonably sure that this is correct.  The question is,
which model of 1670 does the Aprotek C24 emulate?

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu