[comp.sys.cbm] Super Snapshot File Copier

iachetta@ec.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard N Iachetta) (03/30/91)

Has anyone had any problems with the file copier built into Super Snapshot V5?
Usually it works, but sometimes it trashes the destination disk.  It will
copy the files and then when it says "Updating Directory", it will cause the
drive to make an awful noise and will lock up the drive, before it updates
the BAM I am sure.  Anyway, after that it is pot luck to see which files
on the disk are recoverable, including the ones that were there before the
copy.  I don't think its my disk drive because it does the same thing on
my 1571 and my 1541.  Has anyone had this happen, or do I have a bad cartridge?
Is there a way around this, because I really like the idea of having a file
copier that doesn't need to be loaded?

Rich Iachetta
iachetta@ecn.purdue.edu

tjlee@iastate.edu (Tom Lee) (03/30/91)

In <1991Mar29.223219.28177@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> iachetta@ec.ecn.purdue.edu
(Richard N Iachetta) writes:

>Has anyone had any problems with the file copier built into Super Snapshot V5?
>Usually it works, but sometimes it trashes the destination disk.  It will
>copy the files and then when it says "Updating Directory", it will cause the
>drive to make an awful noise and will lock up the drive, before it updates
>the BAM I am sure.  Anyway, after that it is pot luck to see which files on
>the disk are recoverable, including the ones that were there before the copy.
>I don't think its my disk drive because it does the same thing on my 1571 and
>my 1541.  Has anyone had this happen, or do I have a bad cartridge?  Is there
>a way around this, because I really like the idea of having a file copier
>that doesn't need to be loaded?

	Yes!  This has happened to me a time or two, too, and I don't know why
or when it happens, so I don't know how to avoid it.  It's never lost me files,
but that's because I have always scratched the files written during the copy
and re-validated the disk.  (At least I _think_ I've never lost files!)  It
hasn't happened for a while, so I thought it had gone away, whatever "it" is.
Anyway, I second the motion: if anyone knows what causes this and/or how to
avoid it, please post!

        Tom Lee, "The Lamplighter"        | BITNET:  TAB47@ISUVAX        |  /
"Cling, swing,                            | Internet:  tjlee@iastate.edu | (o)
 Spring, sing,                            | or:  tab47@ccvax.iastate.edu |  /
 Swing up into the apple-tree."  -- T. S. Eliot                          |Heya!

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.223219.28177@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> iachetta@ec.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard N Iachetta) writes:
>Has anyone had any problems with the file copier built into Super Snapshot V5?
>[...etc...]

Yes, I never use the SS file copier for this reason.  I think Marcel
Leblanc is on UseNet, so you should be able to get an answer directly
from him on this one.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Tech News Account) (04/02/91)

What I`ve found is that Super Snapshot V4 will NOT work properly on single
drive copies... if you copy from one drive to the other it usually works fine,
but I killed several 1581 disks trying to copy from #9 to #9...

                        My employer disagrees.

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (04/02/91)

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) writes:

>In article <1991Mar29.223219.28177@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> iachetta@ec.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard N Iachetta) writes:
>>Has anyone had any problems with the file copier built into Super Snapshot V5?
>>[...etc...]

>Yes, I never use the SS file copier for this reason.  I think Marcel
>Leblanc is on UseNet, so you should be able to get an answer directly
>from him on this one.

Hmmm...  I didn't see the original article because it expired at my site,
but I can give it a shot anyway:

We occasionally get reports about the SS file copier 'hanging'.  Reports are
the same - the drive light stays on, but nothing is happening.  I've been
unable to reproduce this problem when ONLY the file copier is used.  I have
noticed this problem when some sort of fast loader is used (custom or even
SS's own).  I've looked at the initialization routines used for the file
copier, but I can't find anything wrong.  However, there does seem to be a
reliable fix:  reset your disk drive before using the file copier.  Yes,
this is a little bit of a hassle, but I've never encountered any problems
when using the file copier with 'clean' drives.

>David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
>INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

Marcel A. LeBlanc  --  Electrical Eng. Computer Group, Univ. of Toronto
leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu		else: uunet!utcsri!eecg!leblanc