[comp.sys.cbm] Questions about GEOS 128, QuantumLink, life, the universe...

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (04/03/91)

In article <Apr.3.00.17.36.1991.17129@pilot.njin.net> birchall@pilot.njin.net (Official Random) writes:
>Why would I want a Mac emulator?  Everyone knows GEOS-128 is superior :)
>
>[Everyone wonders why GeoWorks feels so obliged to pull all extant copies of
>GEOS and GEOS-128 from shelves now that they are marketing PC-GEOS]

Is GEOS 128 being pulled?  What's its price down to these days?  My
little brother uses my old 128; it might be udeful to snag a copy of
GEOS 128 for him, if its price has dropped below the $80 it used to
be...

>GDS-128 (the gif viewer by MeEric on Qlink) is nice. I'm glad I didn't have to
>pay Qlink to get it.... *snirg*

How is Qlink doing these days?  I was there a few years ago as
Alicorn1 (and got to be pretty popular during my heyday, I might add ;).
Have they expanded, or cut back, and what sorts of things are they
doing these days?

Out of curiosity, a few questions about Qlink:

(1) Could somebody send me a list of the questions asked in the
matchmaker survey thingy, if you've got 'em?  I'd like to make
something similar for an Internet chat program.

(2) Could someone please check for me and see how well my Star Trek
game `strek128.sda' is doing these days, and indeed if it's still
there?  I'm curious how many downloads are logged for it.  It should
be in the section with the other Ultra Hi-Res programs for the C128.
(I also suspect it was written up in Twin Cities 128 about a year or
two ago, because I got a lot of mailed requests for it around that
time, and a few mentioned TC128 -- but I never found a copy of the
magazine!  ::snif::  Anybody got back issues of it, couldja quote me
the relevant part of whatever article it was?)

Ah, the good old days, when I could still know precisely what was
going on in my machine at any given moment...  ::sigh::

Come to think of it: My 128 has one ten-inch and one twelve-inch
monitor, both color, hooked up to it side-by side, and a lightpen, and
a joystick, and a disk drive with two different-color lights on it,
and a printer that makes lots of noise.  My Mac has a black-and-white
nine-inch monitor and a little bitty disk drive.

Now, which is the fancier machine, eh?  ;)

     << Brian >>

P.T.: I'm pretty sure the C128D is no longer being made; is the C64C
still in production?  (And, as trivia: anyone here ever see a C128A?)

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't HAVE the work to *do* -- I don't DO the work I *have*."