[comp.sys.cbm] CAD programs at JYU.FI?

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (03/27/91)

Recently I read on this group that someone was looking for CAD programs
for the C64.  I found what I thought to be a CAD series at FYU.FI (Finland)
and downloaded them.  They are listed as a series; CAD401.SDA thru CAD403.SDA.
I assumed that SDA meant that the programs would be self dissolving...
no such luck.  I have tried to inlink, unarc, unzip, and otherwise "Undo" the
file compression/archiving, but nothing seems to work.

Any other lucky souls who have been able to open these files?

Kirk A. Janowiak
XWUU@PURCCVM

neusoft@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (03/29/91)

In article <91086.104828XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET>, XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET writes:
> Recently I read on this group that someone was looking for CAD programs
> for the C64.  I found what I thought to be a CAD series at FYU.FI (Finland)
> and downloaded them.  They are listed as a series; CAD401.SDA thru CAD403.SDA.
> I assumed that SDA meant that the programs would be self dissolving...
> no such luck.  I have tried to inlink, unarc, unzip, and otherwise "Undo" the
> file compression/archiving, but nothing seems to work.
>
> Any other lucky souls who have been able to open these files?

Ya, some nim-rod thought it would be clever to uuencode them, not once, but
twice.  To unencode them, firt, go back to JYU.FI and download them, this time
being sure to download them as text, NOT binary.  Now, this is the fun part.
If your system has a UUDECODER, I would strongly urge you to use it (a
UUDECODER for the 64 is available at milton, but with those file sizes and four
files, it would take an awful lot of time!).  Now, UUDECODE these files, and
when your done, you should have four more files (somthing like CAD401.SDAUUE
etc.).  Now UUDECODE those files, and the result is for .SDA files, which
(finaly) are the true SDA files.  I did manage to get the files extracted, but
was very disapointed with the almost useless product that resulted.  If your
expecting somthing like Autocad to appear when you load it, don't even bother.
As far as I'm concerned, it wasn't even worth the effort, their are many other
better (and faster) programs available, but I supose for some it might be
useful.

-Mike
neusoft@vax1.mankato.msus.edu

72560.3467@CompuServe.COM (Howard Herman) (04/04/91)

To:   >INTERNET comp-sys-cbm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm

In article, XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET writes:
> [deleted]  .  They are listed as a series; CAD401.SDA thru CAD403.SDA.
>I assumed that SDA meant that the programs would be self dissolving...
>no such luck.  [deleted]

Unlike the .SFX which will self-dissolve on BOTH, a 64 and a 128, an .SDA file
will self-dissolve on EITHER a 64 or a 128, but not both.

If it didn't work in one mode, try the other.

---
Howard Herman
INET:  72560.3467@CompuServe.COM

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (04/04/91)

In article <"910404022753.72560.3467.EHE77-1"@CompuServe.COM> 72560.3467@CompuServe.COM (Howard Herman) writes:

>Unlike the .SFX which will self-dissolve on BOTH, a 64 and a 128, an .SDA file
>will self-dissolve on EITHER a 64 or a 128, but not both.

>If it didn't work in one mode, try the other.

I have seen a lot of comments about .SFX with regard to the 128.  Is there
a way to create SFX files on a 64?  Are they any better than SDA?

>---
>Howard Herman
>INET:  72560.3467@CompuServe.COM

 ------------------------------        +---------------------------------+
        Nick Rossi, '93                |              SONY               |
 ------------------------------        |                                 |
      Harvey Mudd College              |   Because caucasians are just   |
 (ooo HELL is a place on earth)        |         too damn tall.          |
 ------------------------------        +---------------------------------+

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (04/05/91)

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) writes:

>I have seen a lot of comments about .SFX with regard to the 128.  Is there
>a way to create SFX files on a 64?  Are they any better than SDA?

The LHA program which creates SFX's runs under Chris Smeet's CS-DOS for the
128, and as such I would be surprised if there is a 64 version.  Additionally,
the 128 version requres a 1750 to be able to run, so I guess this isn't an easy
thing to do.  From reading the docs I got the idea that it would be possible
to write it without a 1750, but it would be quite slow.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu