[comp.sys.cbm] File printer spool

andy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Andrew Hackard) (04/01/91)

OK, here's kind of a weird problem.  I have a couple of files that I need to
print from disk.  Trouble is, they're too long to load into my 128's memory.

So, far as I can tell, the best way to print them would be to use the 128 as
a big printer buffer and spool the files from disk to the printer.  So...

1)Does such a program exist?

2)If not, can anyone write a quick 'n' dirty one for me?

Thanks for your help.  Email or post replies; makes no difference to me.

--Andrew

72560.3467@CompuServe.COM (Howard Herman) (04/03/91)

To:   >INTERNET comp-sys-cbm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm

In article, andy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Andrew Hackard) writes:
> OK, here's kind of a weird problem.  I have a couple of files that I need to
> print from disk.  Trouble is, they're too long to load into my 128's memory.

If the combined files are too large for the 128's memory, but each individual
file isn't, Pocket Writer3, its earlier versions, and most other word
processors will allow all the parts to be LINKed, and printed at once.  The
only limitation would be the total capacity of all your drives.

If each file exceeds the 128's memory capacity, you could split them up by
using BTP's buffer, which will handle files not exceeding 125,535 bytes.

For any sized file, Big Blue Reader 128 will print, and offer options of
ascii or petscii, LF on or off, device # of printer, etc.  There is no limit
to the size of a file that BBR can print.

Howard Herman  -  72560.3467@compuserve.com

andy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Andrew Hackard) (04/05/91)

In article <"910403033100.72560.3467.EHE124-1"@CompuServe.COM> 72560.3467@CompuServe.COM (Howard Herman) writes:
>In article, andy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Andrew Hackard) writes:
>> OK, here's kind of a weird problem.  I have a couple of files that I need to
>> print from disk.  Trouble is, they're too long to load into my 128's memory.
>
>[lots of helpful information deleted due to fussy server]

Thanks for the help, but I got a way to print them. (Just for the record, one
of the files was "0mono-files.list" or whatever, from milton; 105K, by my
count.)

Special thanks to Randy Winchester, who mailed me the .sfx's of all the KeyDOS
stuff.  Worked fine, Randy. :)

--Andrew