[comp.sys.cbm] MacAttack II Question

hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Aaron Peromsik) (04/07/91)

OK, here's the deal. I used MacAttack II to convert a geoPaint file to Macpaint
format, uploaded it to a mainframe with Kermit in binary mode, then used binary
FTP to download it to a Mac. When I converted the file with BinHex, BinHex gave
me an end of file error,so I extended the file a bit with a word processor.
BinHex read it OK but the resulting file was slightly scrambled: it had all the
data was there, but sections of the picture were shifted right and left.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a problem with the transfer, or with
MacAttack? Has anyone used MacAttack successfully to move geoPaint files to the
Mac?
-
|                               |                                     |
|        Aaron Peromsik         |        "Please insert disk with     |
| hh2x@cornella.cit.cornell.edu |         with the 128 deskTop v2.0"  |
|  hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu    |                                     |
|                               |                                     |

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr6.210942.3890@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Aaron Peromsik) writes:
>OK, here's the deal. I used MacAttack II to convert a geoPaint file to
>Macpaint format, uploaded it [...] but sections of the picture were
>shifted right and left.

>Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a problem with the transfer, or with
>MacAttack? Has anyone used MacAttack successfully to move geoPaint files to
>the Mac?

I have never sent MacPaint pictures to a Mac, but I have sent them to
other computers, and MacAttack has worked great so far.  Be sure to
watch the options that you are using when you convert to MacPaint
format, such as:

MacBinary header on/off - This option lets you add or leave out the
binary header used by the Mac.  I leave it off, but you may need it to
be there for what you're doing.

GeoPaint pictures are 640 pixels wide, while MacPaint pictures are 576
pixels wide, so a full 64 pixels must be chopped off of the picture to
make it fit into MacPaint format.  MacAttack lets you choose what part
of the picture you want to lose, through the "starting column" option.
You can choose a number from 0 to 8, and each number chops off 8 more
pixels, starting from the left.  For instance, column 0 will take the
left side of the image, and leave off the right 64 pixels.  Column 8
will chop off the leftmost 64 pixels and leave the right side.  Columns
1-7 will take the middle of the image, with some pixels left out on both
sides.

Also note that using Kermit is dangerous with binary files.  Most
Kermits expect to transfer text, since that's what Kermit does best, so
you must be absolutely sure that ALL of the Kermits you transfer to
understand that a binary file is being sent, and no translation should
be done on any characters.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..