[comp.sys.cbm] DesTerm Autoboot

iachetta@ec.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard N Iachetta) (04/07/91)

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before since I've only been reading
since February but I'll say it anyway in case not and for newcomers who
get DesTerm 2.00.  The autoboot maker program trashes the file desdocs3.doc.
The file is fine until autoboot is run, but after, it only loads to line 410.
After recopying the file, the disk no longer autoboots.  Has anyone figured
out how to have desdocs3.doc and the autoboot at the same time?

Rich Iahcetta
iachetta@ecn.purdue.edu

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (04/07/91)

iachetta@ec.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard N Iachetta) writes:

>I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before since I've only been reading
>since February but I'll say it anyway in case not and for newcomers who
>get DesTerm 2.00.  The autoboot maker program trashes the file desdocs3.doc.
>The file is fine until autoboot is run, but after, it only loads to line 410.
>After recopying the file, the disk no longer autoboots.  Has anyone figured
>out how to have desdocs3.doc and the autoboot at the same time?

I noticed this too... or, at least, I noticed that desdocs3.doc got trashed.
I didn't connect it with the autoboot maker, although that is consistent with
what I observed.  My solution: download the archive with all the docs in it
again.  Probably a better solution: run the autoboot maker on a blank disk,
then copy all the DesTerm files over to it.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr7.012125.11379@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> iachetta@ec.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard N Iachetta) writes:
>I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before since I've only been reading
>since February but I'll say it anyway in case not and for newcomers who
>get DesTerm 2.00.  The autoboot maker program trashes the file desdocs3.doc.

This is a danger when running any autoboot creator program.  The
autoboot sector is track 1, sector 0, and a good boot maker will check
to see if that sector is in use by another file before using it.  You're
lucky that only a doc file was trashed.

The best way to create an autoboot sector is to format a blank disk,
then run autoboot on it.  Then, check the directory, and it SHOULD show
one less block free than it did before, ie, 663 for a single-sided 1541
disk, or 1327 for a double-sided 1571 disk.  If it does not, that means
that the boot sector has not been allocated by DOS, and when you copy
files to the disk, it will destroy the boot sector when files reach
track 1 (which is when the disk is about 600 blocks full).  To correct
this, try these commands:

	OPEN 15, 8, 15
	PRINT# 15, "B-A:0,1,0"
	CLOSE 15

That should allocate the boot sector against being overwritten.  Beware,
if you validate the disk, this block will be freed up again, and can
then be erased if you write more files to the disk.

After you have a disk with the boot sector on it, filecopoy all the
files to the new disk.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/09/91)

Richard N Iachetta (iachetta@ec.ecn.purdue.edu ) wrote:

 >I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before since I've
 >only been reading
 >since February but I'll say it anyway in case not and for
 >newcomers who
 >get DesTerm 2.00.  The autoboot maker program trashes the
 >file desdocs3.doc.
 >The file is fine until autoboot is run, but after, it only
 >loads to line 410.
 >After recopying the file, the disk no longer autoboots.  Has
 >anyone figured
 >out how to have desdocs3.doc and the autoboot at the same
 >time?

   Matt's a little out of touch at the moment, but I'll make sure that he
finds out about this.

   I suspect that the disk has just filled to the outer tracks and that
there's not much that can be done (aside of perhaps aborting the autoboot
install if the block has already been allocated).

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be
failing long after you and I have discovered new worlds. -- me