[comp.sys.cbm] drive problems

gravillr@prism.cs.orst.edu (GRAVILLE RUSSELL JAMES) (04/09/91)

I have been having problems with my drives.  My 1571 will not format
correctly.  When I try to format a disk it will format but when I try
to read the directory it comes up with about 6 lines which look like
some copy protected directory and I cant read or write to the disk.
This doesnt sound like alignement because I can still read and write
to my old disks but I cant format new ones.

The other problem is with my 1581.  Every once in a while it comes up
with a drive not ready error out of no where.  This is very annoying
when I'm downloading and it aborts because of this.  Could this be
because I need new roms or something?

HELP!!! espically with the 71

Russ
| Russell J. Graville | Freshman in Nuclear Engineering | Oregon State Univ.|
|     gravillr@prism.cs.orst.edu      |      gravilr@jacobs.cs.orst.edu     |
| The death rate is still one per person |     Insert any disclamer here    |

bruce@watnxt2.ucr.edu (Ahmon Dancy) (04/10/91)

What side of the monitor do you have the drives on? Move them to the right
side.  My 1581 refused to work while sitting to the left of my monitor.
hell.. your problem could be totally different.. ignore me.

Bruce! (Ahmon Dancy)  Email Address: bruce@watnxt2.ucr.edu	|  mail me!
	Soon to be attending UC Berkeley      			|  EECS major

72560.3467@CompuServe.COM (Howard Herman) (04/10/91)

To:   >INTERNET comp-sys-cbm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm

gravillr@prism.cs.orst.edu (GRAVILLE RUSSELL JAMES) writes:

>I have been having problems with my drives.  [description deleted]

Disconnecting the cables, and cleaning all contacts with ordinary alcohol then
reassembling often will cure sporadic signal probs.

It doesn't take much corrosion on the contacts to interfere with the low level
voltages.

-------------
Howard Herman
INET:  72560.3467@CompuServe.COM

cshamis@desire.wright.edu (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr09.072654.13435@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>, gravillr@prism.cs.orst.edu (GRAVILLE RUSSELL JAMES) writes:
> I have been having problems with my drives.  My 1571 will not format
> correctly.  When I try to format a disk it will format but when I try
> to read the directory it comes up with about 6 lines which look like
> some copy protected directory and I cant read or write to the disk.
> This doesnt sound like alignement because I can still read and write
> to my old disks but I cant format new ones.

Hello,
  I had something simular happen to my disk drive,  it was a 1541 (notoriusly
touchy).  Anyway the problem about formatting went away when I opened it up and
reset the drive-speed pot;  my disk drive was running at 310 rpms instead of
300,  it would still read and write old disks, but I could never format new
ones, the drive would just die when it got to the inside tracks, (I guess it
was too fast for the drive [inside tracks rotate faster])  strange though that
it would still write to old disks.  ANYWAY, the point I'm trying to make is run
a speed checking program on your drive if your RPMs are out of whack MAYBEY
thats the problem (as it was in my case) if not,  well, you better wait for
FUZZY FOX to answer this one for you.

  About the 81, Im sorry Ive only had mine for 3 months and its out of my
leage.

  Take it away David    :-)

CShamis@Desire.Wright.Edu   <===== Internet
CShamis@WSU.Bitnet          <===== Awww...You know