[comp.sys.cbm] Oh what a TANGLED web we weave! <Grin>

cshamis@desire.wright.edu (04/04/91)

Something I never thought of until now...

  Commodore changes the 128 to the 128D,
    Thus making it look more like an Amiga 1000.
  Commodore THEN discontinues the Amiga 1000 and creates the Amiga 500.
    Thus making the Amiga look like an old 128.

  What WHERE they up to?
       """""
CShamis@Desire.Wright.Edu

technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Tech News Account) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr3.112117.3085@desire.wright.edu> cshamis@desire.wright.edu writes:
>Something I never thought of until now...
>
>  Commodore changes the 128 to the 128D,
>    Thus making it look more like an Amiga 1000.
>  Commodore THEN discontinues the Amiga 1000 and creates the Amiga 500.
>    Thus making the Amiga look like an old 128.
>
>  What WHERE they up to?
>       """""
>CShamis@Desire.Wright.Edu

It's simple.... First they wanted C64 users to upgrade to the 128, and
when that didn't work as well as expected (many went to the 1000) they
made the 128 look like the 1000, to get more people to buy the 128D

Then, to capitalize on the success of the old 128 design, they release the
A500, which they hope people will upgrade to instead of the 128.

I believe they killed the 1000 to make room for the 2000.

The BIG question is why they killed the C64?
                        My employer disagrees.

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/07/91)

Tech News Account (technews@iitmax.iit.edu ) wrote:

 >The BIG question is why they killed the C64?

   Jesus freakin' H. CHRIST!

   Now that you're all paying attention, please read and memorize:

   They haven't (yet) killed the C64.  Commodore is still filling orders.
Any dealer who says they can't get them is either lying or dealing with a
distributor that has decided to drop the line.

   At World of Commodore & Amiga in Toronto, Fred Bowen mentioned that he had
just made an engineering change to the C64 so that it would use one ROM in
stead of two... why make changes (that cost $$$) unless you plan to maintain
production and save in the long term?!?

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be
failing long after you and I have discovered new worlds. -- me

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (04/11/91)

If Commodore is "still filling orders" and if they are planning on making
engineering cjanges as you say, then why do ALL of the major players say
that they cannot get the C64?  Several of the LARGEST C64 dealers in
mailorder tell me they CANNOT get the little machines.  I find it hard to
believe that all of these folks are "lying" or are having problems with
their distributors.  Some go directly to Commodore for their wares.
I do not find it hard to believe that Commodre would twist the truth;
either because it would be convenient or because the left hand doesn't know
what the right hand is doing.

If you will remember, Commodore said that it was still making and delivering
128's in the late fall (1988?) when in fact, they had permanently ceased
production in July of the same year.  Late in the summer, these same dealers
began to tell their customers that they could no longer get new shipments
of 128's and both magazines and the net said "don't worry" ...oops! another
8-bit bites the dust.

Somebody call Commodore and ask them what they're up to and end the speculation

XWUU@PURCCVM

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (04/11/91)

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET writes:

>                                      Late in the summer, these same dealers
>began to tell their customers that they could no longer get new shipments
>of 128's and both magazines and the net said "don't worry" ...oops! another
>8-bit bites the dust.

Oof... don't say these things, they hurt to hear. (sniff)

>Somebody call Commodore and ask them what they're up to and end the speculation

Fred Bowen, do you still read this group?  Can you give us any "official"
information, or would that be a bad move?

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu