[comp.sys.cbm] c64 audio output

ktiedtke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Kurt Tiedtke) (04/01/91)

Hi! I am looking for a way to record the audio output of my c64.
I would like to use the audio out pin, but I am not sure of the
electronics involved.  Is there such a cable available already? Are
there other (relatively cheap) ways to get audio out suitable for
recording on a stereo (RCA plug, etc.)  I am currently using the
composite output for my screen.

Kurt Tiedtke

tjlee@iastate.edu (Tom Lee) (04/01/91)

In <11473@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ktiedtke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Kurt Tiedtke)
writes:

>Hi! I am looking for a way to record the audio output of my c64.
>I would like to use the audio out pin, but I am not sure of the
>electronics involved.  Is there such a cable available already? Are
>there other (relatively cheap) ways to get audio out suitable for
>recording on a stereo (RCA plug, etc.)  I am currently using the
>composite output for my screen.

	I made a plug that you stick in the monitor output port -- you plug a
mono audio cable in the other end of the plug.  I just bought a 5-pin DIN plug
and an audio plug from the local Radio Shack and wired ground pin to ground and
"audio out" pin to signal.  You could probably do something similar, but you'd
have to find a way to send the video signal to the screen.  Perhaps you could
make a Y-adaptor that sends everything but audio to the monitor, while sending
the audio to your stereo.

	Cables already exist for splitting mono signals into two so you can
hear them on both channels of a stereo signal.
--
        Tom Lee, "The Lamplighter"        | BITNET:  TAB47@ISUVAX        |  /
"Cling, swing,                            | Internet:  tjlee@iastate.edu | (o)

burkhart@necssd.NEC.COM (Joe Burkhart) (04/08/91)

I am not getting any audio out of my C64. Does anyone have the
schematics for the C64, or some good trouble shooting tips to
test the internals?

Joe Burkhart
NEC America Inc.
Irving, TX 75038

russelrd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (MattBrockman) (04/10/91)

In article <758@necssd.NEC.COM> burkhart@necssd.NEC.COM (Joe Burkhart) writes:

>I am not getting any audio out of my C64. Does anyone have the
>schematics for the C64, or some good trouble shooting tips to
>test the internals?

Well neither do I. My C-64 send instuctions to the monitor to
make the sounds for it, as the C-64 has no speakers. If you
already have a monitor hooked up, make sure the volume is not
turned all the way down.    :-)

-Matt
@@@@
@@@
@@
@

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (04/11/91)

In article <758@necssd.NEC.COM> burkhart@necssd.NEC.COM (Joe Burkhart) writes:

>I am not getting any audio out of my C64.

I suggest you check out your SID chip (6581).  This chip is socketed on
just about every computer I've seen, so if you can get ahold of another
64 (or 128) and swap chips, you can find out if the SID is bad.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..