[comp.sys.cbm] GEOS 2.0 - What'a new with it?

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (04/12/91)

Well My little Brother (Grade 9) is needing a
way to write Book reports, Reports, labs, ect.
Sooo

He has a 64, I used Geos 128 a LONG time ago.
Soo i have some questions about Geos2.0

1) IS it still very supported? (The 64 seems a dieng breed)
2) DO they still use that STUPID copy protection scheme?
   IE. ya "install" ya New programs on to ya disk. (ICK)
3) If they still have that silly copy protection, how do i get around it.
   (ie, how can i back up theose $60 disks!)

4) What's new with it, comming out?

I uses geos 1.0 for a little bit, it was very impressive.

I need (W4ell he needs) a Word Processor with a Spellchecker, and
a grmmerchecker would be cool, (He's Dyslexic, (So am I!))

Well any info would be welcomed..

Glad to hear thet chain letter guy got his!

GEOS - DO everything that a MAC can do with ya 64! (Well everything MOST people do with a Mac!)

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

c9037544@cc.newcastle.edu.au (David Williams) (04/12/91)

In article <yorkw.671406381@stable.ecn.purdue.edu>,
yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
> Well My little Brother (Grade 9) is needing a
> way to write Book reports, Reports, labs, ect.
> Sooo
> He has a 64, I used Geos 128 a LONG time ago.
> Soo i have some questions about Geos2.0
> 1) IS it still very supported? (The 64 seems a dieng breed)
> 2) DO they still use that STUPID copy protection scheme?
>    IE. ya "install" ya New programs on to ya disk. (ICK)
> 3) If they still have that silly copy protection, how do i get around it.
>    (ie, how can i back up theose $60 disks!)
> 4) What's new with it, comming out?

GEOS does not seem to be being supported on the Commodore by Berkely anymore.
Actually, due to its success, their name has been changed to GEOworks. They
have released GEOS onto the IBM market, and it seems that this is their
current focus. However, GEOS programs are still being written by its very
well-established user base.
Unfortunately, their copy protection scheme is what is used on GEOS 128 v2.0.
I started with GEOS 64, version 1.2 and was able to use Fast-Hack-'Em to
backup my disks from the very beginning, before doing any installing at all,
but when I upgraded to version 2 on the 128, this did not work, and so until
I can find some other way, I am using the original boot disk.
GEOS 128 v2.0 is just a slightly modified form of v2.0 on the 64, to take
advantage of its extra features. However, if you have come from the original
GEOS 128, or even worse, GEOS 64 v1.3, like I did (the upgrade to 1.3 was on
the disk that came with my 1351 mouse) then the improvement are phenomenal!
I completely recommend this program, although to really get maximum advantage
from it you need quite some extra hardware, namely an 80-column monitor
(geoWrite won't even work in 40 columns), a 1750 Ram Expansion Unit, a
1351 Proportional mouse, and a 1581 3.5" disk drive. Without these, GEOS is
still very good, but requires a bit more patience.
I believe that the newest GEOS application was geoBASIC. I have not seen this
(and anyway, would much rather see geoC, or something like that).

| David Williams                      | University of Newcastle, Australia    |
| c9037544@cc.newcastle.edu.au        | Department of Computer Science        |
| c9037544@jupiter.newcastle.edu.au   |                                       |
|   "The decision of Random Numbers is too important to be left to chance !"  |

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (04/13/91)

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>2) DO they [GEOS 2.0] still use that STUPID copy protection scheme?
>   IE. ya "install" ya New programs on to ya disk. (ICK)

They do, but it's not a really serious problem.  The only original you need
to run from is your boot disk.  You need that to boot unless you've done
something like create a 1581 boot disk.  Thereafter, you istall the programs
on your original disk, BUT you are free to copy them to any other disk- which
you should do.  Make a work disk with geoWrite on it, don't run geoWrite from
the disk on whence it came.

I also want to second the comment earlier about the advantages of having an REU
to use with GEOS 2.0.  The difference with and without a REU is like the
difference in using the power steering in your car with and without the engine
turned on.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu