[comp.sys.cbm] Desterm V2.00 Problem/Question

dalerp@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Robert P. Dale) (04/14/91)

I'm having a problem with Desterm and Unix.  I have my modem set
to 7E1 and character color white.  Everything is fine until the
system prints reverse characters (such as the "more" prompt) because
after the system continues the color changes to light gray.
I then have to ALT-J to reset to get back to white.  Am I doing something
wrong??

Rob

|  Rob Dale     ///// Purdue University Atmospheric Sciences         |
|  N8GSK        ///// dalerp@expert.cc.purdue.edu                    |
|               ///// Rob.Dale@samba.acs.unc.edu                     |

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (04/15/91)

In article <10315@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> dalerp@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Robert P. Dale) writes:
>I'm having a problem with Desterm and Unix.  [...]
>I then have to ALT-J to reset to get back to white.  Am I doing something
>wrong??

No, not exactly, but there are some things you should know about VT100
emulation.

A "real" VT100 has no colors, just black and white.  It can print normal
text, bold text, underlined, or reverse video.  Note the above:  NORMAL
or BOLD text.  In other words, the normal text on the screen is darker
in color than bold text.  DesTerm knows this, and whenever the terminal
receives an escape code telling it to use "normal" video, it will go to
a darker version of the color you choose (unless you have already chosen
a darker color, in which case it stays as-is).  If DesTerm ever receives
a code to print bold text, then, it will be able to use a brighter
color.  Otherwise there would be no way to print bold text.

So in answer to your query, you will see this as long as you keep
selecting a "bright" version of any colors on the screen.  If you select
a darker color, this will not happen.  If this bothers you, turn up the
brightness knob on the monitor, and select light grey as your normal
color.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..