[comp.sys.cbm] 1581 question

rschofie@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (09/15/89)

I love playing _Neuromancer_, but I don't like all the disk swapping
involved. There are 2 double-sided, 5 1/4", non-copyprotected disks.
Would it be possible to copy all the disks to one 3 1/2" 1581 disk, and
eliminate all the disk swapping? I don't think storage capacity would
be a problem, but would the 1581's directory/file structure be able to
convince the program that the disks had been swapped? I am about to buy
another disk drive soon and this is going to be a deciding factor of
whether I buy a 1581 or something else.

Please respond as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

                                       Robert Schofield

	{pur-ee,ihnp4!inuxc,rutgers,pyramid}!iuvax!silver!rschofie
	rschofie@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (192.12.206.2)
	rschofie@iubacs.bitnet (forwarded)

s25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/20/91)

I have a question for any 1581 owners out there:

    Does the 1581 have DIP selectable device numbers like the 1571?

           Thanks,

               Marc Fraioli
               s25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (04/20/91)

s25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>    Does the 1581 have DIP selectable device numbers like the 1571?

Yes.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr19.143050.4152@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> s25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>I have a question for any 1581 owners out there:
>
>    Does the 1581 have DIP selectable device numbers like the 1571?
>
>           Thanks,
>
>               Marc Fraioli
>               s25y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

You are in luck.. 1581's do have the DIP switches for determining drive
number. I great thing actually, snce in order to change the number on an
old 1541 meant softwiring it or opening it up and doing it yourself.. ugh.
The switches are much better

CTuna@cup.portal.com (Don S Gladden) (04/20/91)

    Does the 1581 have DIP selectable device numbers like the 1571?

Yep!   :D