[comp.sys.cbm] Novaterm and SZ

kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (Joel Kolstad) (04/16/91)

Well, I've tried my hardest, and I can't get Novaterm to work with SZ.
:-(

With Novaterm set to XModem or XModem-1K, the 64 usually gets one block
of the program, and then just sits there waiting forever and ever and
ever!

With Novaterm set to YModem, the 64 starts receiving, but eventually decides
that it got a bad block somewhere and sits there waiting and waiting.

For XModem/XModem 1K, I've been using "SX <filename>" on a Unix Box.  For
YModem, I've been using "SZ <filename>".

Does anybody know why this doesn't work?  Or better yet -- what do I have to
do to get it to work?

Please e-mail me any suggestions that you might have.  Thanks!

			    ---Joel Kolstad

cs4344af@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.031457.5168@spool.cs.wisc.edu> kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (Joel Kolstad) writes:
>For XModem/XModem 1K, I've been using "SX <filename>" on a Unix Box.  For
>YModem, I've been using "SZ <filename>".

For Ymodem, you should be using SB, not SZ (which is for ZModem).

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (04/16/91)

kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (Joel Kolstad) writes:

>Well, I've tried my hardest, and I can't get Novaterm to work with SZ.
>:-(

I've had problems very similar to what you describe with DesTerm 2.0 and SZ.
Usually, I get a Bad Block, and after 10 tries or so DesTerm quits with a
Transfer Failed or some such message.  I have this theory that it is as a
result of control characters being filtered out by terminal servers.  I have
to go through at least two, and maybe three (I really don't know), terminal
servers to get to the Unix system here.  It's crazy.  At any rate, I did my
best to convince two of the terminal servers to pass all control characters
unscathed, but I still got errors.  The only protocol I've gotten to work
over this line is Kermit.  Which is, of course, a 7-bit protocol.

Oh well.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

metahawk@itsgw.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr16.031457.5168@spool.cs.wisc.edu> kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (Joel Kolstad) writes:
>Well, I've tried my hardest, and I can't get Novaterm to work with SZ.
>:-(
>
>With Novaterm set to XModem or XModem-1K, the 64 usually gets one block
>of the program, and then just sits there waiting forever and ever and
>ever!
>
>With Novaterm set to YModem, the 64 starts receiving, but eventually decides
>that it got a bad block somewhere and sits there waiting and waiting.
>
>For XModem/XModem 1K, I've been using "SX <filename>" on a Unix Box.  For
>YModem, I've been using "SZ <filename>".
>
>Does anybody know why this doesn't work?  Or better yet -- what do I have to
>do to get it to work?
>
>Please e-mail me any suggestions that you might have.  Thanks!
>
>			    ---Joel Kolstad

Well, it's been the experience of many of us here at Rensselaer that X-Modem
(and variants) just don't work with the mainframes.  It doesn't matter what
base you use (Amiga, C64/128, Mac), it just doesn't work.  It works fine
with other PC's.  So the problem seems to be with the mainframes.

     Now my Problem.  I'm about to lose the Amiga that I've been borrowing
all year long.  And now that I'm use to a good VT100 emulator, I want to
download a good VT100 term program (suggestions/ftp sites?) for my C128.
(The one that came with the 1670 really sucks!)  The only transfer protocol
that really works with the campus' mainframes is Kermit.  (I want that in
the VT100 emulator, as I don't have it.)  Now the problem is how to get
the term prog. from the mainframe to my 128 with the stuff that came with
the 1670.  Any ideas?  (I'd like to pull this off without having to call
long distance and transferring at 1200 baud.  Yuck!)

                                   Wayne Rigby
                                   Computer and Systems Engineer (in training)
                                   Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
                                   metahawk@rpi.edu

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (04/25/91)

In article <+qtgr0g@rpi.edu> metahawk@itsgw.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) writes:
>Well, it's been the experience of many of us here at Rensselaer that X-Modem
>(and variants) just don't work with the mainframes.  It doesn't matter what
>base you use (Amiga, C64/128, Mac), it just doesn't work.  It works fine
>with other PC's.  So the problem seems to be with the mainframes.
>
>     Now my Problem.  I'm about to lose the Amiga that I've been borrowing
>all year long.  And now that I'm use to a good VT100 emulator, I want to
>download a good VT100 term program (suggestions/ftp sites?) for my C128.
>(The one that came with the 1670 really sucks!)  The only transfer protocol
>that really works with the campus' mainframes is Kermit.  (I want that in
>the VT100 emulator, as I don't have it.)  Now the problem is how to get
>the term prog. from the mainframe to my 128 with the stuff that came with
>the 1670.  Any ideas?  (I'd like to pull this off without having to call
>long distance and transferring at 1200 baud.  Yuck!)

Well, Dester-128 V2.0 for the 128 has an excellent VT100 emulator, good ANSI
and all that other good stuff.. and xmodem, ymodem, etc all work with
unix xmodem and vms xmodem... Never had any problems.. so if you are going
to get a good program, I highly recommend it.
I believe that you can find this wonderful program at Milton.