[comp.sys.cbm] Ram Disk

awg@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.w.gaunt) (06/13/89)

I have a C128 w/1750.
I would like to use them with the CBM ramdisk software and
a program I wrote in Basic 7.0.

It is a large basic program that must be compiled for speed,
it is just too sloooow when run by the interpreter. It also loves
to use disk files so a Ramdisk would be great. Besides, my 1750 is
too expensive to be used as a heating element (current usage).
I've tried CBM ramdos and Free spirit ramdos with the
Basic 128 compiler's code only to find they don't get along.
It is the opinion of many that is is the compilers fault.
I called Abacus and they do not intend to fix it.

My question to the world of CBM users is:

Are there any other Basic Compilers written for use with a C128
(in it's native mode) that are fully compatible with Basic 7.0
and are written well.
If true, where is/are it/they.

Andrew Gaunt
attsb!awg

jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Joe Greco) (06/14/89)

]
]It is a large basic program that must be compiled for speed,
]it is just too sloooow when run by the interpreter. It also loves
]to use disk files so a Ramdisk would be great. Besides, my 1750 is
]too expensive to be used as a heating element (current usage).
]I've tried CBM ramdos and Free spirit ramdos with the
]Basic 128 compiler's code only to find they don't get along.
]It is the opinion of many that is is the compilers fault.
]I called Abacus and they do not intend to fix it.
]
]My question to the world of CBM users is:
]
]Are there any other Basic Compilers written for use with a C128
](in it's native mode) that are fully compatible with Basic 7.0
]and are written well.
]If true, where is/are it/they.

If the c64 version is any indication, I would expect that the C128
version of BLITZ! would be HIGHLY compatible.  I know from experience
that the 64 version of BLITZ! is much more compatible than the 64
version of Abacus BASIC Compiler.  I can't say the same is true of the
128 versions, because I don't have them....

One last thing, BLITZ! generates p-code and not native mode code.
--
jgreco@csd4.milw.wisc.edu		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

brendan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Brendan Kehoe) (06/14/89)

awg@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.w.gaunt) wrote in comp.sys.cbm:

>I called Abacus and they do not intend to fix it.

 This is the only area where I've been able to find fault with Abacus..usually
they're cooperative (at least the tech support guys know their stuff..well,
most of them)..but they've let the stash/fetch bug sit and fester.

>Are there any other Basic Compilers written for use with a C128
>(in it's native mode) that are fully compatible with Basic 7.0
>and are written well.

 As far as I know, BLITZ! 128 from Skyles Electric Works is able to handle
all of the tokens for basic 7.0..I'd verify this if I were you tho..their info
is:

	Skyles Electric Works
	231-E South Whisman Road
	Mountain View, CA 94041
	(800)/227-9998 (or in CA 415/965-1735)

 I've used both compilers, and as far as speed is concerned, I like Abacus'
package better ('sides, I rarely if ever do stash/fetch from basic, compiled
or no)..

--
Brendan Kehoe
brendan@cup.portal.com    | GEnie: B.KEHOE  | Oh no! I forgot to say goodbye

consp24@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Gregg William Riedel) (05/01/91)

Is the Commodore RamDisk software that comes with the 1750 public domain?  I
have a 1700 (which I will upgrade soon...) that I'd like to use as a Ram Disk
(just from BASIC), but it didn't come with the Ram Disk...

If it is p/d, could someone post it somewhere or mail it to me?  Thanks!

Gregg Riedel
consp24@bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (05/01/91)

consp24@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Gregg William Riedel) writes:

>Is the Commodore RamDisk software that comes with the 1750 public domain?  I
>have a 1700 (which I will upgrade soon...) that I'd like to use as a Ram Disk
>(just from BASIC), but it didn't come with the Ram Disk...

>If it is p/d, could someone post it somewhere or mail it to me?  Thanks!

RAMDOS is indeed public domain.  Does anybody know if RAMDOS II is at milton?
If not, I'll try to get it there.

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu