[comp.sys.cbm] Joyless Joyport

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) (05/06/91)

A friend of mine, who is a big C64/128 fan, has a C64 with a sick joyport.
The JOY1 port works fine, but when a working joystick is plugged into JOY2,
it will go left and fire, but not go up, down, or right.  The contacts with
the port appear to be fine.  Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks!

--
     John Townsend                 Internet:   johnt@meaddata.com
 c/o Mead Data Central             UUCP:       ...!uunet!meaddata!skibum!johnt

geert@ahds.UUCP (Geert W.T. Jonkheer CCS/TS) (05/07/91)

In article <4186@meaddata.meaddata.com>, johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes:
> A friend of mine, who is a big C64/128 fan, has a C64 with a sick joyport.
> The JOY1 port works fine, but when a working joystick is plugged into JOY2,
> it will go left and fire, but not go up, down, or right.  The contacts with
> the port appear to be fine.  Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
There seems nothing wrong, because this is the normal behaviour when
a program wants to use paddles instead of a joystick and a joystick is
used for the paddles. However, when a program uses joysticks and this
problem occurs there is certainly something wrong. (Don't know the
solution then, help).

Geert.

XWUU@PURCCVM.BITNET (05/07/91)

Regarding ditzy joysticks on the 64:

1. try a new joystick (this is akin to plugging in major appliances before
       calling the service rep)
2. If a new controller fails to solve the problem, it is probably the CIA #1
      chip.  It is labelled U1 on the motherboard.  From everything I have
      read and experienced, most problems of this type are due to the failure
      of this component.   Power surges and static are its worst enemies.  It
      is not socketed, so plan on adding a socket now to avoid the inevitable
      replacement hassles in the future.  Cost of a new 6526 chip is between
      $10 and $18 depending on the source.  If you wish to do the surgery
      yourself, look for the label U1 on the motherboard; the chip there should
      be labelled 6526.

3. If it is not he CIA chip, about the only other thing it could be is the 6510
      MPU.  It is labelled U7 on the motherboard.  This is very unlikely,
      however, as you probably would have been experiencing other weird stuff.

Kirk
xwuu@purccvm

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/07/91)

In a letter to All, John Townsend (johnt@meaddata.com ) wrote:

 >A friend of mine, who is a big C64/128 fan, has a C64 with a
 >sick joyport.
 >The JOY1 port works fine, but when a working joystick is
 >plugged into JOY2,
 >it will go left and fire, but not go up, down, or right.
 >The contacts with
 >the port appear to be fine.  Do you have any idea what the
 >problem could be?

   I've usually been able to fix this by replacing the 6526 closest to the
keyboard connector.  This is not, however, a guaranteed cure and I don't
recommend it for anyone not used to replacing soldered ICs on printed circuit
boards.

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

desimone@cse.uta.edu (David DeSimone) (05/08/91)

In article <4186@meaddata.meaddata.com>, johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes:
> A friend of mine, who is a big C64/128 fan, has a C64 with a sick joyport.
> The JOY1 port works fine, but when a working joystick is plugged into JOY2,
> it will go left and fire, but not go up, down, or right.  The contacts with
> the port appear to be fine.  Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

The most common cause of this is a frotzed 6526 CIA chip.  This is an
incredibly common occurence, since Commodore placed the joyports right
next to the power switch, where static on your fingers can literally fry
the chip directly.  I recommend leaving joysticks plugged into both
ports at all times, to avoid this problem.  If you're lucky, all you'll
lose is joystick functionality.  The 6526's control almost every
function on your computer, so if you zap one completely, your computer
won't work at all.

Open up your computer, if you want, and find the two chips labelled with
a "6526" number somewhere on them.  If these two chips are soldered down
(ie, you can't remove them), then you're sunk - take it to a repair
shop.  If they are socketed, you can try mail-ordering a chip and
sticking it in yourself.  If you've done all that, you are a qualified
Commodore service person.  :)

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow) (05/08/91)

A small (and very thin) piece of anti-static foam pad cut to size and inserted
into the port will prevent your CIA chip from being ZAPPED!

Unfortunately, it will ALSO prevent you from using paddles or a Koalapad...
--

technews@iitmax.iit.edu                           kadokev@iitvax (bitnet)
                         My Employer Disagrees.

alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu (Corey Lawson) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May7.185459.2433@cse.uta.edu> desimone@cse.uta.edu (David DeSimone) writes:
>In article <4186@meaddata.meaddata.com>, johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes:
>> A friend of mine, who is a big C64/128 fan, has a C64 with a sick joyport.
>> The JOY1 port works fine, but when a working joystick is plugged into JOY2,
>> it will go left and fire, but not go up, down, or right.  The contacts with
>> the port appear to be fine.  Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
>
>The most common cause of this is a frotzed 6526 CIA chip.  This is an
>incredibly common occurence, since Commodore placed the joyports right
>next to the power switch, where static on your fingers can literally fry
>the chip directly.  I recommend leaving joysticks plugged into both
>ports at all times, to avoid this problem.  If you're lucky, all you'll
>lose is joystick functionality.  The 6526's control almost every
>function on your computer, so if you zap one completely, your computer
>won't work at all.
>
>Open up your computer, if you want, and find the two chips labelled with
>a "6526" number somewhere on them.  If these two chips are soldered down
>(ie, you can't remove them), then you're sunk - take it to a repair
>shop.  If they are socketed, you can try mail-ordering a chip and
>sticking it in yourself.  If you've done all that, you are a qualified
>Commodore service person.  :)
>
>--
>David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
>INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..
>Q-Link:  Fuzzy Fox                                        /   --*
>Quote:   "Foxes are people too!  And vice versa."         /  ---

Perhaps the connectors for the joyport are fuzzed on the board.  If
the CIA chip (what a name for a chip...) were fuzzed, then things
would seem to be going weird.  But, since the computer still seems to
be working ok, I'd say that the problem is between the CIA and the
joystick port.  Maybe before checking out the CIA you should get a
tester and see if current flows through the pins in question...use a high
impedence probe...

-corey lawson
alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu