[comp.sys.cbm] modem

jsc@athena.mit.edu (Jin S Choi) (05/01/91)

I'm looking for a cheap high speed Commie compatible modem. First of all, how
fast can the 128 go? I hear it can do 9600, but as the 64 runs only half as fast
and can just barely handle 2400, how is that possible? Does anyone know how
much a 9600 runs for? How about 2400? In the event that I can't find a
commodore compatible one, does anyone know where to find an rs232-commie port
converter?

Thanks.

--
Jin Choi
jsc@athena.mit.edu

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (05/04/91)

jsc@athena.mit.edu (Jin S Choi) writes:

>I'm looking for a cheap high speed Commie compatible modem. First of all, how
>fast can the 128 go? I hear it can do 9600, but as the 64 runs only half as
>fast and can just barely handle 2400, how is that possible? Does anyone know
>how much a 9600 runs for? How about 2400? In the event that I can't find a
>commodore compatible one, does anyone know where to find an rs232-commie port
>converter?

Funny, I was told (after forwarding a FAQ from this group long ago to a
C=64 owner) that the C=64 can handle 38400 bps, and he was surprised to
see the FAQ asking if 2400 was possible.  As I'm not a native C= user, my
facts may be mixed up, but I understand there were/are modems available
that plug into the cartridge slot.  Not sure on their speed limitations.

As to the other stuff, I guess I'm not much help.  I'm here for the friend
looking for a good Ymodem Batch protocol that can be used in conjunction
with EBBS 64.

--
///   ____   \\\ "Now the world has gone to bed/darkness won't engulf my head./
| |/ /    \ \| |  I can see by infrared/how I hate the night.//Now I lay me
 \\_|\____/|_//           down to sleep,/try to count electric sheep./Sweet
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu  dream wishes you can keep./How I hate the night."

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May3.195241.128@unlinfo.unl.edu> greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:
>jsc@athena.mit.edu (Jin S Choi) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a cheap high speed Commie compatible modem. First of all, how
>>fast can the 128 go? I hear it can do 9600, but as the 64 runs only half as
>>fast and can just barely handle 2400, how is that possible? Does anyone know
>>how much a 9600 runs for? How about 2400? In the event that I can't find a
>>commodore compatible one, does anyone know where to find an rs232-commie port
>>converter?
>
>Funny, I was told (after forwarding a FAQ from this group long ago to a
>C=64 owner) that the C=64 can handle 38400 bps, and he was surprised to
>see the FAQ asking if 2400 was possible.  As I'm not a native C= user, my
>facts may be mixed up, but I understand there were/are modems available
>that plug into the cartridge slot.  Not sure on their speed limitations.

The 64 can do 38400 baud with the use of something called the Swiftlink
cartridge (from Dr. Evil Labs if I remember correctly).. I'm not certain
about 38K, but I am pretty sure about 19.4K baud.

72560.3467@CompuServe.COM (Howard Herman) (05/14/91)

To:   >INTERNET comp-sys-cbm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm

digdon@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mike Digdon) writes:

>The 64 can do 38400 baud with the use of something called the Swiftlink
>cartridge (from Dr. Evil Labs if I remember correctly).. I'm not certain
>about 38K, but I am pretty sure about 19.4K baud.

SwiftLink was developed by Dr. Evil Labs, and is being sold and distributed by

Creative Micro Designs
Tel. No. for Orders: 1-800-638-3263
Howard Herman
INET:  72560.3467@CompuServe.COM