[comp.sys.cbm] Is there hope for this 1541?

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (05/13/91)

TSIA. I turn the 1541 on, it blows a fuse. The rectifier looks fine. No
smoke or smudge on the board (it is a LONG board).

Any ideas?

John Luce               | Life is the leading cause of death
Alcatel Network Systems | -----------------------------------------
Raleigh, NC             | Standard Disclaimer Applies
919-850-6787            | Mail? Here? Try aurs01!aurw46!luce@mcnc.org
-------------------------------- or John.Luce@f130.n151.z1.fidonet.org

slogan@ms.uky.edu (Stan Logan) (05/20/91)

In article <59824@aurs01.UUCP> luce@aurps2.UUCP (J. Luce) writes:
>TSIA. I turn the 1541 on, it blows a fuse. The rectifier looks fine. No
>smoke or smudge on the board (it is a LONG board).
>
>Any ideas?

Yeah.  Try removing the 4-pronged wire in the rear corner of the drive
(the one all by itself).  Turn on the drive for ~30 seconds and then
turn it back off.  If the fuse is no good, it is a bad transformer or
associated wiring.  Otherwise, the fault could be in a number of places.
Try this and see what happens.  If the fuse is OK, send me E-mail and
we will try to work it through.
Stan