[comp.sys.cbm] rs232 problems

rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl (04/18/89)

I have a Lightspeed 1200 modem which I can't get to work when I use
it on 1200 baud with a normal program like vipterminal. (or any
other program) The problem seems to be the kernal RS232 routines.
I have changed the terminalprogram vipterminal so it uses a user
defined baudrate (anyone familiar with the RS232 routines?).
I have set the lo-byte to 40 and the hi-byte to 1. Now I can
use my modem with 1200 baud, but I have to change all of my
communication software to do so.
Does anyone know what the problem is?
What's the solution?

Thanks in advance.

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) (05/22/91)

We've just built ourselves a little rs232 interface for the C64 (we want
to do some transfers to/from our BBS). The hardware seems to be fine. We
can send characters from the 64 to the remote terminal, but anything
sent by the terminal just doesn't turn up.
Well it does, in a way. If we bash the program to display bit 0 of $DD01
(the rs232 data recieved bit) it is quite clear that characters are
making it in. But then they get lost. The program we're using looks like
this:
10 open2,2,0,chr$(38)+chr$(192)
20 get#2,a$
30 get#2,a$:getb$:printa$:ifb$<>""thenprint#2,b$
40 goto30

can anyone help?

John West (stealing Andrew's account)
I'd rather have a box of fish than a son like that

bruce@watnxt2.ucr.edu (Ahmon Dancy) (05/22/91)

Make sure your interface has the wire that goes into the C64 (for input)
also hooked up the the FLAG line... (the two pins are right next to
each other)..

terminal out line ----------> c64 in line
                            \-> FLAG line

Bruce! (Ahmon Dancy)  Email Address: bruce@watnxt2.ucr.edu	|  mail me!
	Soon to be attending UC Berkeley      			|  EECS major

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) (05/23/91)

bruce@watnxt2.ucr.edu (Ahmon Dancy) writes:

>Make sure your interface has the wire that goes into the C64 (for input)
>also hooked up the the FLAG line... (the two pins are right next to
>each other)..
>
>terminal out line ----------> c64 in line
>                            \-> FLAG line

Ah! So thats the secret! I will do it the instant I finish reading
news.

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) writes:

>>terminal out line ----------> c64 in line
>>                            \-> FLAG line

>Ah! So thats the secret! I will do it the instant I finish reading
>news.
I did it and it worked. Thanks a lot